Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Basic bolt ons: Cat back systems and flexpipes (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7619)

focaltech 02-22-2004 11:55 AM

Basic bolt ons: Cat back systems and flexpipes

I have covered the shorty style headers and hi flow cats etc in another topic. Here are some of the cat back systems your likely to see on the market.

ATR
Bassani
Borla
Bosal
Focussport
HKS
Magnaflow
MBRP
Pacesetter
Thermal R&D
Trubendz
Vibrant

There are many issues to discuss when talking about cat back systems. Here are a few of them.

SOUND
One thing an aftermarket system will always have over stock is a distinctive sound. Sound is a personal choice, whether you want it to be loud and deep or quiet and rumbling, there is a cat back setup for you.

Many systems are much louder than stock. When this becomes a problem especially when combined with a race header, you have a few things you can do to quiet your system down. Focussport offers a stealth option which adds a resonator to the system, Bosal also offers a silencer kit which helps tone things down. Trubendz offers the ability to customize your set up by choosing your own muffler and resonator.

PERFORMANCE
This is to me one of the most important aspects of a an exhaust system. To start with, when choosing your setup, you need to take into consideration some of your future plans. If you are planning on staying relatively mild and just using bolt ons, then a 2.25 system will be more than enough for you. However, if you plan on a serious N/A build or the use of forced induction, a 2.5 system will provide much better gains. Borla, MBRP and trubendz make the best 2.5 cat back systems

PRICE
Cat back setups can run anywhere from $ 250 all the way up to $ 500, its up to you what you want to spend. The gains are not increased by spending more

Flexpipes

The flexpipe is the last bottleneck in your exhaust system, many folks buy the other system parts and forego a flexpipe. It has been dyno proven that replacing a stock flexpipe in an otherwise complete, full length exhaust setup is worth a few whp and wtq.

Here are some of the aftermarket flexpipes you are likely to find.

Bosal
Focussport
Focus central
Trubendz

The Bosal flexpipe is stainless steel, while the focus central and focussport are not, though the focussport piece is ceramic coated, all of these are 2.25. Trubendz is the only company currently making 2.5 flexpipes, trubendz also makes their flexpipes aluminized and stainless steel.

If you have a question about one of these parts or another related exhaust part, feel free to PM me or e-mail me at frzx3@yahoo.com

ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC 02-22-2004 12:11 PM

cool man, I was wondering if you were gonna make one on exhausts too. lol you must be sick of people asking the same old question "what exhaust should i get?" These should be sticky!!!!

ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC 02-22-2004 12:43 PM

Trubendz also offers 3 inch size tubing, that is good for going Forced Induction. If your not going to go FI, then don't get 3 inches because the focus isn't a school bus. 2.5 inches is also ok for FI too but if your planning to go big then ya might wanna go 3 inches.

focaltech 02-22-2004 12:46 PM

I didn't want to use the FJ info because I do not think its completely correct.

I also do not like posting other forums topics on this one. For example, cross posting FJ and FF.

ALL_MOTOR_ZETEC 02-22-2004 12:53 PM

aight sorry man, i just thought it be a good thing to put in but hey if ya don't want it then that's cool.

00focus 02-22-2004 06:07 PM

bout time someone made a sticky on this!

richiejerzee4lfe 02-24-2004 01:05 AM

i heard that in order to install a cat back system you have to drop the back axle to take off the stock system is this true? also how easy is it to install it yourself? thanks.

mofocus 02-24-2004 01:35 AM

or you could cut it , which is what most people do, they are fairly easy installs

focaltech 02-24-2004 05:07 PM

Most folks like mofo said cut off the old exhaust system.

Most new systems come in multiple sections.

samot_50 02-27-2004 08:45 PM

Hey focal, the focussport flexpipe comes with the exhaust system, or you have to buy it apart??