Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   type of oil (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71104)

zx3freak 01-10-2006 04:00 PM

type of oil

im gonna be autocrossing a lot what oil is a good type?

scrammer 01-10-2006 04:11 PM

Royal Purple. <--big period

FSP Focus ZX3 01-10-2006 05:55 PM

So long as you change it often, you probably won't see any power difference. Just make sure you use the right viscosity. I change my oil just before every event (about once a month) and the oil filter every other month. Helps keep me honest. Besides, I honestly run my car too hard.

Scrammer is right though, Royal Purple is probably the best out there.

Klondike 01-10-2006 08:07 PM

how much is that stuff, paying 5 a quart is kinda pricey....

FSP Focus ZX3 01-10-2006 08:10 PM

That's why, just go with the regular stuff, if you do it as often as I do, don't even bother buying synthetic.

sidney61199 01-10-2006 08:35 PM

I don't know about every where but in some area's Mobil 1 is like $5.25 a qt and Royal Purple is like $5.95 a qt, I'd rather pay the slight diffrence and know you are getting a better oil. Also just cause it says synthetic does not mean its the best, there are diffrent grades of synthetic oils and Royal Purple is one of the best. The others would be Redline and Amsoil, I would be willing to try Redline but hate Amsoil's marketing idea of trash talking all other oils so that you'll buy there's. I use Royal Purple and love it. On contreversial (is that spelled right?) side note, Royal Purple has been shown to add up to 3hp over regular oil (google it if you don't beleive me) so if your using dino oil your cheating your self out of around 3hp. Sure 3hp is not alot but think about it this way, a steeda short ram is $150 and adds 5hp. Your getting around 3hp for the price of the oil and changing it your self (or $10 to have a store do it).

pspringe 01-10-2006 08:39 PM

Find me a dyno with +/- 3hp precision.

2004SVTAutoXer 01-10-2006 08:40 PM

ehhhh the comment about synthetic, if you're beating on your car at the track you should really think about investing in synthetic. that's where the advantages of the synthetic formula really come into play with thermal breakdown

sidney61199 01-10-2006 09:07 PM

pspringe, use google and do the foot work your self. I said plain as day that the info was "contreversial" and to do a search on the web. Even if a dyno is off by 3hp explain how many diffrent dyno's from many diffrent sites all come up with 3hp? Also why does everyone point out "show me a dyno" when some one points out a gain? Are the odds of a dyno being over 2 to 3hp more likely than it being off negative 1 to 2hp? I mean really here cause I don't know that much about dyno's, are they ever off in the negative consitantly? As stated above, I don't know dyno's but I do know how averages work and if many dyno's say one thing take all the gains and add them up then divide that number by the amount of results you added (example: 3+4+2+1+4+5=19 19/6=3.16hp average) say what you want but let this be a reminder to all those who say "show me a dyno", do a search come up with three or more dyno results, add them up then divide the total by the number of dyno results you had and there is your average. The above formula can not be disputed, that would be the average gain.

FSP Focus ZX3 01-10-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2004SVTAutoXer
ehhhh the comment about synthetic, if you're beating on your car at the track you should really think about investing in synthetic. that's where the advantages of the synthetic formula really come into play with thermal breakdown
True, but if you change it consistently about every 1,200 miles? I know it's better but honestly, my car runs like a swiss clock with all the attention I give it. I'm not sure if it's entirely necessary. If you do the 5k mile intervals between oil changes, definitely go all out and use synthetic. I agree with 2004SVTAutoXer there!