Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Automatic racing... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69202)

alk3civichater 12-20-2005 01:30 AM

Automatic racing...

Alright.. got a question for all the automatics out there.. do you race with O/D on or off? or maybe different for different kinds of races? drag.. auto-x.. from hwy speeds?

Oni 12-20-2005 03:08 AM

Well, unless you think it reacts faster than pushing down the gas pedal all the way, what's the point of turning it off? The only benefit of having it off would be to hold the car in third gear or to have it rev a bit higher before the ECU would tell the car, "Hey, time to shift." (I'm assuming the automatic Focus only has four gears)

alk3civichater 12-20-2005 07:47 PM

yeah.. four gears.. my question was more along the lines of.. for example.. drag racing.. would the car get better results with it on or off.. or with auto-x how different would the shift points be for going into the turns and keeping an edge on the manuals.. i shoulda just got a 5 speed huh? lol

sonicblue 12-20-2005 08:08 PM

turn it off, OD is more for better gas mileage not performance in going faster.

MaximusZTS 12-20-2005 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sonicblue
^^ thats what I have heard.

Yellow-ZX3 12-20-2005 08:27 PM

i always turn mine off when i drag race.

ztecpower 12-20-2005 08:32 PM

Turning off overdrive does NOTHING For how fast your car is unless your car can shift through 2 gears and top out in 3rd to where you would need the O/D on. The O/D button is just for the last gear, that's it. If I drive in the city I have the OD Off tho. As to promote bog free driving [:D].

alk3civichater 12-20-2005 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sonicblue
ok cool thats what i've been doing.. thanks..

Ripped_06_ST 12-20-2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ztecpower
Turning off overdrive does NOTHING For how fast your car is unless your car can shift through 2 gears and top out in 3rd to where you would need the O/D on. The O/D button is just for the last gear, that's it. If I drive in the city I have the OD Off tho. As to promote bog free driving [:D].
Exactly what he said... unless your car is fast enough to get to the point to where it needs to shift into fourth to keep accelerating then it really doesn't matter if you have it on or off while drag racing.

Oni 12-20-2005 11:59 PM

You'll probably never get out of second gear at an autocross, so it would be as pointless as the button - almost. Just giving you a hard time. It's just the same as an extra gear to shift into and hold the car in that gear, except it's a button. And you cannot force the car to shift into third, you have to wait until it decides to do so - or runs out of second gear. But you can stop it from going into fourth!