Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   solo 2 class (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61441)

phx sbsvt 10-04-2005 02:36 PM

solo 2 class

I have a svt with a short shifter, and 16 in wheels but otherwise stock.What solo 2 class should I have to run in?

Carrera26 10-04-2005 03:17 PM

The short shifter and -1 wheel size will put you in STS technically, but your local guys will probably put you in G-Stock Novice to begin with, as it's not like your mods are going to help you overwhelm the normal G Stock folks...

Typically, we put new people in the most appropriate class for them to compete in, regardless of their actual car.

Oni 10-05-2005 01:07 AM

You have an SVT with the Euro package and you're running on 16's? Do you have another set of tires for that?

I find it ridiculous what they say will bump you into STS versus stock, but that's SCCA's rules. So would a rear engine mount technically put you into STS as well? There's a huge advantage once that puppy's installed (well, it does help). I was wanting to go with a short-throw shifter and a rear engine mount, but I wasn't planning on jumping out of G stock to race in STS just to get creamed. All I really want to do is improve the long throws and shifter feel.

Carrera26, would you consider that cheating?

Carrera26 10-05-2005 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by thefrush
I have an SVT Euro that I run 16's on for autocrossing, it is my race wheel/tire set. [;)]

Rules are rules. If you want to really 'compete' in GS you must follow them. On the regional circuit, it doesn't matter as much, but nationally you cannot squeeze by with anything. Plus, are you really trying to be super competitive in GS? Because if you are, I would reccomend getting a K&N drop-in, catback exhaust, and some lightweight 17's with race tires before you start getting illegal mods. [thumb]

Most of my answer right there. If you really want to be fast, spend your money on some R Compound tires instead of that other stuff. Nothing will make even close to as much difference. The second best would be to get some Koni Adjustable dampers, which are stock-class legal.

As for the engine mount and a STS, you really won't be getting much use out of either on course anyway. 90% of the course is between 4K RPM and redline in one gear the entire time. Most of the time, you won't even leave 1st gear, or you'll shift once into 2nd and leave it there. So it's not like either of those will be much of a benefit to you anyway.

Nobody at the regional level is going to care anyway if you want to do those mods, as a noob driver isn't really going to get close to anyone really in competition for points... Besides, I beat 90% of the STS drivers on street tires with no mods, so it's not like STS is some much higher class. In fact, since they are a "street tire" class and can't run R Comps, the good Stock class drivers usually beat them.

Oni 10-05-2005 12:29 PM

Hmm, I was being mostly sarcastic, but I'll thank you guys for the responses anyway. There are usually only 3-4 cars in the G Stock class where I autocross locally, so it's not like I'm breaking any records by competing with locals. It's just for pure fun. I'm just not happy with the driveline componentry in the SVT Focus, and I think there's a lot of improvement for feel and shifting - that's why I want a rear engine mount - not for competition reasons.

Once I finally finish college (this is my last year), I will most likely invest into another set of wheels and R-Comp tires, or I will look into another car as a project car. That is assuming I will have a job lined up after I graduate.

phx sbsvt 10-05-2005 10:17 PM

When I bought the car the 16in wheels were on it. They are the basic focus 6 spoke wheels. I honestly never seen another svt focus before I bought it and didnt know they were the wrong wheels.