Yet Another Custom Radar Detector Mount!
Have a radar detector? Wish you could mount it above the mirror with the suction cup mount, but couldn't because of those darn "shade-dots"?
Here's my solution! It cost me about $5 in parts. First off, here's a pic of my Passport on the mount above the mirror:
Here's a picture of the mount by itself:
OK - This is easy to construct - here's how:
1) Buy a strip of aluminum, 1.5" wide by a 12" long, 1/8" thick. You'll also need 3M's double-sided automotive adhesive (the generics always seem to peel easily under heat), self-tapping sheet metal screws (#10) and some finishing washers (for aesthetics). I'm assuming you have your detectors suction cup bracket.
2) Measure about 2.5" - 2.75" of the aluminum and use a hacksaw to cut off the small piece. Use a file to clean up the edges and corners for burrs and such.
3) Remove the suction cups and place that part of the mount on the aluminum. Drill pilot holes where the screws will go, making sure the screw head will overlap a good part of the detector's bracket (the suction cup holes are usually bigger than the screw head.)
4) Screw the bracket onto the aluminum, making sure the finishing washer is between, and centered. DON'T overtighten - it's easy to do, and unnecessary.
5) Using a Dremel or similar tool, grind off the protruding part of the screw on the backside, and make it smooth.
6) Apply multiple strips of the 3M tape to the side you just grinded/smoothed and trim the excess 3M off of the edges. You're almost done!
7) Clean the area of the "dots" above the mirror with rubbing alcohol and "test fit" the placement of your new mount.
8) Peel the backing off the 3M tape and firmly press your new mount onto the windshield. Here's another good part about this mount: if you "accidentally" set the mount slightly crooked, you can loosen the screws and recenter the radar!
9) Enjoy! You'll still need to hardwire your detector, but I'll leave that up to you.
nice! I like it. [thumb]
hel yea, im gona do that this weekend. thx alot for the write up dude
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.|