Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Performance mods for ATX (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5494)

poisonivory 01-15-2004 01:20 PM

Performance mods for ATX

Im not all that familiar with the specifics of performance mods. I just had a quick question.. Are there any low-end performance mods (CAI,TB, UDP,etc.) that are of little or no benefit if you have automatic transmission? I know all in all, they would help in some way, but I dont know what mods would give a significantly better effect to a MTX over ATX. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

microtonal 01-15-2004 01:33 PM

Some ideas.

1. Chip to smooth out your shifting - about $200-250. No HP gain. Just makes your car more fun to drive.
2. Intake - about $35-300. Depending on if you buy just a cone filter or intake system.
Looking at about 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
3. 65mm TB - about $200-250. better throttle response, which make car more fun to drive. About 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
4. UDP - about $80-120. about a 2-3HP gain at the wheels.
5. Focus Fanatics sticker - free after 100 posts. About a 50HP gain at the wheels.[;)]

Sublime 01-15-2004 01:43 PM

Nice list theremicrotonal. Don't forget Suspension upgrades

microtonal 01-15-2004 01:45 PM

And exhaust.
$200-400. about 4-6HP gain at the wheels and a nice tone.

poisonivory 01-15-2004 01:48 PM

haha those stickers are only putting out 50HP, weak!!!1 lol j/k Thanks for the advice. You seem to be knowledgable, so let me ask you this... When I bought my car, they told me I could do no performance mods other than catback exhaust without voiding my warranty. Now i see all these people with modded cars which are nearly new and should be under warranty. DO these people just take the risk of having to pay for any future work on their car, or are their exceptions. My info came right from Ford dealer at which I bought my car, adn he seemed to tell me I couldnt do anything to my car except: catback, 17 rims, audio, etc. Any comment on this?

Jibberish18 01-15-2004 01:55 PM

A 50 state emissions legal CARB exempt intake shouldn't void your warranty.

poisonivory 01-15-2004 02:00 PM

ok so what about these people with chips, TB, etc. Do they probably do most of their repairs themselves? and care less about warranty? Because as far as engine maintenance and such is concerned I know very little. Therefore, it would not be smart to start modding performance wise, thus voiding my warranty, correct?

microtonal 01-15-2004 02:05 PM

You can remove a chip, intake or most of the bolt on mods if you need to take it in to the dealer for service.

Also, if something goes wrong with your car under warranty, the dealer needs to prove that your aftermarket part did the damage.

poisonivory 01-15-2004 02:15 PM

ahh, thanks for the info. I know bout intakes and what not, i could easily take that off. Didnt know it was as simple to just take chip out, thought it might be more complex. Thanks to all for the input.

Focusedat50 01-15-2004 02:18 PM

Also, if something goes wrong with your car under warranty, the dealer needs to prove that your aftermarket part did the damage. [/B][/QUOTE

In theory that is correct, in reality depending on the problem, the dealership, etc. it could come down to who has the most time and money to dispute the decision, you or Ford.
Just remember, when you mod your car you could be left holding the bag if you have a problem, there are no guarantees.