Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Window tinting in Michigan, please help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54071)

nantaism 07-24-2005 01:35 PM

Window tinting in Michigan, please help

Hey guys, I'm looking into tinting my windows on my black ZX3 but I need some help. First off, I live in Michigan, so the tint law is 35% and it is illegal to tint the driver and passenger windows. Now, how strict are cops about that in MI, anyone know? I'm not looking to get pulled over, but I see alot of people in MI with their driver and passenger windows tinted. Also, is 35% dark enough, or is it not worth it? And lastly, anyone know of any good shops in Michigan (Auburn Hills or Rochester area) that does nice tinting work? Thanks.

Sting2324 07-24-2005 01:45 PM

Even though you can easily do a search on this, click here. I'm not exactly sure what the 4' means for the front window...but I went to many websites and that's what it says. My advice, if your really adamant about being legal, do a search on your state statues.

---Randy

nantaism 07-24-2005 01:57 PM

I already DID a search. That's how I found 35% in Michigan. I'm asking for people's opinions who live in MI.

Sting2324 07-24-2005 02:06 PM

Good to hear you did a search. I got a picture in my gallery of 20% on my sedan...

---Randy

DetroitBass 07-24-2005 03:02 PM

well whatever you searched was wrong. Legal tint in MI is 5% on back window and rear windows, 4" strip of 35% on passenger/driver window, 4" strip of 35% on windshield.

stever525 07-24-2005 03:13 PM

^^^ and by 4" strip it means at the top going down.

fritotec 07-24-2005 03:22 PM

i have limo tint on my rear three windows, nothing on the drivers or passengers. nothing on the windshield no problems with the cops.

MISVTfocus 07-24-2005 04:15 PM

The only cops that will really hassle you for tints are the state police, regular local cops dont care. I just hope you dont live out in the boonies where the state police are the only ones lurking around looking to catch someone for ANYTHING.

sidney61199 07-24-2005 04:36 PM

Two things, first off if you stop in a police station they have to answer all your questions for you (you pay there salaries with your taxes). Then stop in tint shops (2 or 3) and ask them what they have heard about how picky the cops are. When I got mine done on my last car they told me "this is what is legal and this is what you can get away with". The second thing is if you wear glases or contacts go to your eye doctor and tell him/her your having problems driving even with sunglasses on cause your eyes are so sensitive to light. The doctor will write you a perscription for window tint and you can get it as dark as you want and the cops can't do crap about it. They may pull you over for it but just keep the perscription in you glove box and they can't do any thing about it. My eye doctor actually told me this cause my eyes are so sensitive I do have trouble driving when its real bright out. Good luck.

heintz 07-24-2005 04:41 PM

I've had 5% on car since I've been home in March and haven't been pulled over yet. I don't think they care taht much. When you do get pulled over roll your windows all the way down and place your hands outside the car so they can see them at all times. Showing a little consideration can go a long ways if they give you a fix it ticket or let you go.