Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   ignition locked up (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51332)

override 06-27-2005 05:10 AM

ignition locked up

hi, i have a ford focus zx3 2dr zetec. The keys for some reason just dont turn at all. My mom used to have problems turning it, but now we cant get it at all. and it has just been sitting there in the driveway for a week. lol, its 5spd by the way..any ideas on how to fix this or whatnot?

brawls43 06-27-2005 06:02 AM

This is a common problem. Tumblers are bent. If the car's under warranty get it taken to a dealer. If not, you basically have to drill out the cylinder. I'm trying to see if I can find the links to the instructions now. A friend of mine had to do this over the winter for the 2nd time.

>> Clickity >>

>> Clack >>

sleepyboy 06-28-2005 06:11 AM

My just broke too cost way too much to fix. and it looks cheaper than the first key hole thingy.

b16sir1991 06-28-2005 06:40 AM

The part# you need from Ford is #SW6285. Thats a Motorcraft # and can be bought from your dealer. The dealers are going to charge you appx. $86.38, maybe a little less, but if any of you guys need one, PM me . I can sell them to you for $45. As long as your locks havent been changed, i could go ahead and build it for you also if you send me your VIN# for $10 more. As far as it being locked up totally, sometimes you can tap on the end of the key with the handle of a screw driver and it will turn, but use caution, if you break that key, its expensive to replace.

PortugalFocus 06-28-2005 10:38 AM

When my cylinder locked up, I just put the cylinder back togather w/o any tumblers and springs. The car won't start without the key anyway. I I have a tumbler-less ignition. I don't have to worry about any more tumblers breaking.

officefocus 07-02-2005 12:05 PM

I have the same problem but i can't turn the key or the steering wheel. I have been trying to take off the ignition switch but because i can't turn the ignition switch, i can't get it out.

BONOMAN5064 07-02-2005 12:19 PM

That happened to me in my old 00 sedan. Luckily I had the extended service through carmax. If you can have someone give you a hand with this, I would, cause taking it to the dealer, may run you a whole lot more.

microtonal 07-18-2005 12:17 PM

Damn it ! [mad]

I have a 2003 ZX3/Manual tranny and my key also won't turn anymore.

I had no signs that there was any issue with my ignition cylinder going bad.

I just parked my car in the garage as usual and now the damn key won't turn at all.
I even tried my un-used spare key and it also won't work.

Hopefully, a locksmith can fix this because my wheel-lock is enabled and I'm not sure how a tow truck can even get my car out of the garage to get it to the dealer if needed.

I can't believe Ford won't recall this issue.
My warranty is no good since I have 44K miles on my 3/36 warranty.

penguin 07-18-2005 01:29 PM

"My warranty is no good since I have 44K miles on my 3/36 warranty."

Call Ford directly, they may do a "policy" thing for you since it is a know problem.

microtonal 07-18-2005 01:46 PM

I just called a locksmith and I've been informed that this is a very common problem with the Focus. Ford dealers even has him install the same type of ignition cylinder that will most likely seize up again even though he has mentioned to them that there is a better aftermarket one.

He said he's replaced 100's in the last few years and they keep having him install the crappy Ford replacement. He was telling me on one Focus, he's replaced the IC 4 times in the last two years.
He has an aftermarket one that is know not to seize up and is better than the one Ford uses.
It's the one he uses if customers have him replace the IC.

Also, I called 4 Locksmiths and they all know about this ignition cylinder issue.
Everyone seems surprised that there is no recall or free fix from Ford on this problem.

Anyway, I would suggest that anyone having this issue get an aftermarket one from a locksmith because getting the one from the dealer will most likely have the same issue in the future.