Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Limited Slip Differential Worth It? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48403)

2002silversvt5 05-27-2005 12:53 AM

Limited Slip Differential Worth It?

I just had a small question for my fellow SVT owners. I've made good plans to go with a few NA upgrades and finish off with a Tune. Ultimately, I will make a switch out to a stage 1 cluth and lighter flywheel, but I was wanting to ask if the limited-slip differential is worth the money or install? Keep in mind that I will not be putting FI into my car, just to keep it's drivability and low gas mileage in check. I just wanted to do NA upgrades to make it decently fast/fun, since bolt-ons and a tune merely bring out what is already there. So in my case, would the limited-slip worth it since it is a pretty expensive piece of equipment? (at least for the SVT that is)

Thanks for the responses
-Art

seraphim 05-27-2005 07:28 AM

My plans for my SVT include just about everything you can do to the engine and still keep it NA and I think it's capable of making upwards of 250~270bhp at the flywheel with all the bolt-onís, cams (when they are released), valves, P&P and the proper tune, this translates to roughly 225~260fwhp with the right clutch and a LSD.

If you have the money and can afford it then it's totally worth it, it increases drivability, cornering capability, acceleration and transmission response, but the Quaffie does run nearly $1200 and the Phantom-Grip is almost $700 so itís a lot of cash. If this is just your daily and you have no plans for racing/auto-Xíing etc. then itís probably not the most necessary item.

BrandonMShanks 05-27-2005 09:37 AM

Yeah, it would probably take a second or 2 off your lap time, but its not going to take any time off your drive from the house to work.

03OrangeSVT 05-27-2005 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by seraphim
My plans for my SVT include just about everything you can do to the engine and still keep it NA and I think it's capable of making upwards of 250~270bhp at the flywheel with all the bolt-onís, cams (when they are released), valves, P&P and the proper tune, this translates to roughly 225~260fwhp with the right clutch and a LSD.

You'll never see that kind of power with out Forced Induction, most supercharged engines dont make that kind of power.

revamp 05-27-2005 10:05 AM

A friend of mine had an SVT that was totally modded out...she had a spec stage 3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, and the quaife LSD. We swapped cars for while (like, for a couple weeks) and that made me want her clutch, but the LSD wouldn't be worth it, to me.

The only noticeable difference it made in street driving was that while turning, the car wouldn't "return" to a straight line. If you didn't force the wheel to straighten out, you'd just keep on going in a circle. Even with all of the mods she had done (cam gears, exhaust w/ ORP, UDP, CAI etc...) I still beat her in races only having my few mods and Tom's tune. It pissed her off, to say the least...she ended up selling the SVT.

So yeah, there is definitely more grip and control with the LSD, but NOT worth the cost if you aren't competing in racing events.

crazymechanic 05-27-2005 11:07 AM

I'll let you know in a few weeks. mine's on order from tom, I'm expecting it in the mail any day

SVT_BMXer 05-27-2005 11:44 AM

its seems awfully expensive and i couldnt justify getting for street use. If you are going to be auto crossing or racing or something then yes i would say get it. But for daily use you could buy alot of other things that you would probably use more.

WD40 05-27-2005 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by crazymechanic
I'll let you know in a few weeks. mine's on order from tom, I'm expecting it in the mail any day
Meaning, Quaife?
Are you going to do the install?
If so...
WE WANT A WRITE UP WITH PICS!!![thumb]

crazymechanic 05-27-2005 03:56 PM

yes, quaife, me and another mechanic at my shop are doing it, and I'll try to take some pics

seraphim 05-27-2005 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 03OrangeSVT
You'll never see that kind of power with out Forced Induction, most supercharged engines dont make that kind of power.

Blah blah blah, it's only 70-80 more whp than stock, with the proper boltons, match porting on the header and intake manifold to the block and head, valves, TB, MAF, intake, header coat, high-flow cat , free flow exhaust, injectors, fuel rail, cam gear, cams, UDP, hardlines and SS hoses, light flywheel, stage III clutch and the proper tune it's well within reach...and if I'm not quite there there's always N2O.

Further the stock S2000 engine is a 2.5L I4 and it makes around 220 RWHP, it's NA and stock, with a few bolt-ons it can make 260 easy...