Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   There's Rust in my new car!!!! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47852)

KAG 05-22-2005 12:20 PM

There's Rust in my new car!!!!

I'm so bummed, I just noticed that there is Rust in my new ZX5 SE[:(].

I was just outside reading my manual trying to become familar with my new car. When I opened the glove box, I noticed the metal frame has some Rust on it. I looked underneath the Dash, anything that is metal has Rust on it. There is some metal in between the steering column, there's Rust on that too.

What is up with all the Rust! It looks like the dash support frame is Rusted. Does anyone else have this? I still love my new car, and am happy with the purchase, but I'm worried [paranoid] that I'm going to have problems in the future because of the Rust.

Should I be worried??? [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]

Lil PZEV 05-22-2005 12:22 PM

The metal stuff all behind my dash isn't shiny and perfect, but I'm not sure I'd call it rusted...

KAG 05-22-2005 12:28 PM

Mine is definitely Rust. I'm seriously bummed.........

Lil PZEV 05-22-2005 12:31 PM

Take it to the dealer if you're that concerned with it... I think this qualifies under the Bumper-Bumper warranty!

KAG 05-22-2005 12:37 PM

I'm going to call them tommorrow.... Thanks!

Lil PZEV 05-22-2005 12:40 PM

No problem, good luck and let us know how it turns out...

penguin 05-22-2005 12:50 PM

Having worked on many cars over the years, a slight amount of rust on metal brackets and supports under the dash is not unusual. Since they are inside the vehicle, they often are not coated and, to keep good grounds, are not painted either. Once they get this light coating of rust from atmospheric moisture, it tends to stop, with the rust actually providing a bit of protection against further rust.

If it bothers you, take it to the dealer by all means, and perhaps check out some other new cars on the lot.

But I myself would not worry about the stuff under the dash. However, any rust you can see when the glovebox is open, is not right and one should not expect to find rust inside the glovebox. This is something the dealership should correct.

KAG 05-22-2005 01:12 PM

penguin, thanks for replying, Just a quick question. Do you have any idea how the dealership can correct this? I just looked in the Glove again, anything that has metal has Rust on it. Do you think they can spray something on it? It looks like the Dash Support is Rusted.

Thanks!

elliottcarlose 05-22-2005 01:18 PM

they probably could but dont see them doing it

penguin 05-22-2005 05:53 PM

Do you think they can spray something on it? It looks like the Dash Support is Rusted.
-------------

I am not familar with the dash/golove box construction, so right now I cannot give a good answer to your question. However, I am buying my first Focus on Monday, assuming they get two door dings out satisfactory.

If I do purchase a ZXW on Monday, I will take a look at the construction and give you an opinion.