Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Why is it that the SVTF isn't a 1/4 mile car? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46535)

DarkSVT 05-09-2005 03:10 PM

Why is it that the SVTF isn't a 1/4 mile car?

I keep hearing this statement, "the SVTF isn't a 1/4 mile car". But why is that??

Is it weight? gearing? power? aftermarket support? what?

[???:)] [?|]

rfinger 05-09-2005 03:25 PM

mostly the getrag tranny from what i understand

jboylan 05-09-2005 03:27 PM

170hp and 145tq. Not exactly stellar. But I didn't buy mine for track purposes, so its no biggie for me.

Crux 05-09-2005 03:30 PM

More like purpose. The car is meant for spirited driving. It is somewhat underpowered, but the purpose was for fun driving - for which it is more than capable. The car was not designed to be a straight line car. It has more of a European feel to it.

You can add power enhancements to it, like any other car, but the best I have heard of is low 13's (maybe high 12's). While that's nothing to turn your nose up at, (especially for 4 cylinders) it's not fantastic. After you've spent nearly 25 - 30k (including the price of the car) on the car, you can run as fast as stock Cobras - and they have a long way to go in terms of performance enhancements. I should think a V8 would be more appropriate for 1/4 mile stuff - or perhaps the SRT-4.

As far as I'm concerned, 1/4 mile times are mostly irrelevant. I'm much more interested in truly driving the car.

DarkSVT 05-09-2005 03:38 PM

I understand that but the question is still there.

For example, the fastest Focus runs a 11.8 with 500+ hp, a similar RSX can run in the 10s.

Supercharged Foci can hardly break the 13's when other cars with the same power run a lot faster.

So, what's hindering the SVTF?

SVT4ME 05-09-2005 03:44 PM

The gearing probably has a lot to do with it. Perhaps lack of LSD? Too much time spent spinning one front tire?

I dunno. I didn't buy this car thinking I could turn it into a quarter-mile monster. Like Crux said, that would be money better spent on a car that would excel at 1/4 mile racing in the first place.

rfinger 05-09-2005 03:44 PM

the gearing man.........although we have a six speed in the getrag it aint exactly made for straight line performance

WD40 05-09-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DarkSVT
I keep hearing this statement, "the SVTF isn't a 1/4 mile car". But why is that??
Is it weight? gearing? power? aftermarket support? what?[???:)] [?|]

Yes to all of the above, though gearing is probably the largest culprit.
It's primary purpose, reason for existence, where it's most happy, and shines above all others in it's class:
1) Spirited driving on twisty back-roads.
2) Chasing cones around an AutoCross course.
3) Ripping it up on a road course, and besting vehicles costing at least twice as much.

And, it does all that with authority, and exceptional gas mileage (considering the performance) to boot.

pio 05-09-2005 04:39 PM

Re: Why is it that the SVTF isn't a 1/4 mile car?

Quote:

Originally posted by DarkSVT

Is it weight? gearing? power? aftermarket support? what?

[???:)] [?|]

becouse the focus is a rally car ..
and by definition is not a 1/4 mile car...

the 1/4 mile car from ford would be the mustang...

if you put a goos suspension and bolt ons to a focus you can give a run for the money to MANY cars costing twice as much....

bwojdyla 05-09-2005 04:51 PM

Why isn't it a qurater mile car?

1) Four cylinder
2) Front drive
3) tall gears
4) porky curb weight
oh yeah... and
5) four cylinder
6) front drive