Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Spare Car Key (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=378073)

robin muir 02-24-2014 10:47 AM

Spare Car Key
 
I have a 2002 Focus ZX3, I need to get a spare key cut , I need it only to open the door . I go surfing and need to either have a hide a key , or take the key into the water ( wetsuit has a special pocket for the key). Can I get just a basic key cut at a Lowes Home Depot etc , or even dealership. Do not need the transponder obviously if I am going into the water. Thanks to anybody that can answer.

Elizabeth 02-24-2014 02:19 PM

Yes plenty of car specialty shops can cut you a key.
In fact they can cut a key which can open the door but not turn the ignition.

Little known fact the six notches on key.. Four do door, four do ignition.
So you can have a key cut which HAS only the four nips for the door.

Auto key guy told me this years ago.
I do not know if this is also true for the 'lasercut' style keys of MK3 though.

crazy_urn 02-24-2014 02:31 PM

I have a non-transponder key for my 03 that I keep as a spare. Works great, and only opens the doors/trunk.

Any locksmith should be able to make the key with no problem, including your local hardware store.

elsolo 02-24-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 5538649)
Yes plenty of car specialty shops can cut you a key.
In fact they can cut a key which can open the door but not turn the ignition.

Little known fact the six notches on key.. Four do door, four do ignition.
So you can have a key cut which HAS only the four nips for the door.

Auto key guy told me this years ago.
I do not know if this is also true for the 'lasercut' style keys of MK3 though.

You are wrong about the 4 + 4 idea, all eight of the notches are used in each lock on the Focus. You can remove tabs from the lock cylinder and use less, but that is not the norm.

Any old hardware store can cut you a key that will open the door though. I also have a door-only key, cost me $2.

robin muir 02-24-2014 02:49 PM

Thanks all , will get a key cut inexpensively.

komoto123 02-28-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsolo (Post 5538753)
You are wrong about the 4 + 4 idea, all eight of the notches are used in each lock on the Focus. You can remove tabs from the lock cylinder and use less, but that is not the norm.

Any old hardware store can cut you a key that will open the door though. I also have a door-only key, cost me $2.

I guess by 'tabs' you mean tumblers? I have no tumblers in my focus ignition. A screwdriver might just work.

bringler26 02-28-2014 09:13 AM

Moved to Mk 1 Interior Chat

elsolo 02-28-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komoto123 (Post 5563402)
I guess by 'tabs' you mean tumblers? I have no tumblers in my focus ignition. A screwdriver might just work.


The whole lock cylinder is a tumbler lock, and the little spring loaded "wafers" or "tabs" might be more correctly called "tumblers" [scratch]
I do know that you need to get all eight set right though.

Good thing for the PATS, it really does make the mechanical key less important than the chip ID, once you get the door open.

b.pearson 02-28-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komoto123 (Post 5563402)
I guess by 'tabs' you mean tumblers? I have no tumblers in my focus ignition. A screwdriver might just work.

SO since I read the whole post about stealing gas (Which had some people very knowledgeable on the subject) And now hear about starting the Focus with a screwdriver, I'm starting to worry about you guys lol

komoto123 02-28-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.pearson (Post 5566370)
SO since I read the whole post about stealing gas (Which had some people very knowledgeable on the subject) And now hear about starting the Focus with a screwdriver, I'm starting to worry about you guys lol

I also forgot to mention i am not sure there are actual transponders in these keys because i have taken my keys out of the ignition while the car is running on cold mornings to let it warm up. So you could see cars driving down the road with no keys anywhere near them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.