Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   auto x needs roll bar (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37697)

atlzx3 02-19-2005 06:04 PM

auto x needs roll bar

Anybody know anyone that makes a good and not so pricey roll bar or i suppose a roll cage? I heard they keep you chassis a little more tidy. I'm leaning on steeda or autopower so far, any suggestions? thanks

dwdgsi03 02-19-2005 06:27 PM

H&R makes a 24mm rear anti-roll that should be sufficient for the stabilty you are looking for. Adding a beefier front anti-roll bar will increase the amount of understeer you'll have, so you may want to keep that in mind when shopping around.

romaczx3 02-20-2005 12:35 AM

I'm confused about what it is you're looking for lol. A roll cage is not a good idea for a daily driven street car - a hassle to enter and exit, expensive, and dangerous if you're in a crash on the street - imagine your non helmeted head slapping one of the bars in a collision - you'd be kind of messed up [8]

As for an anti-roll bar, or sway bar as they're commonly called, I reccomend the Progress 22mm Rear Sway Bar. I have it and absolutely love it - it's also designed to work with the factory front. Any bigger rear sway than that and you should upgrade the front as well, bc any bigger could result in some nasty oversteer in tricky situations. And replacing a fsb is supposedly kind of a pita.

2020vision 02-20-2005 12:45 PM

wow neither of oyu have a clue what u r tlakign about.first of all dwdgsi03
a rear sway bar hleps decrease understeer not increas it. and romaczx3 you will nto get snap over steer form just addign a big rear sway bar. anyways thats what u want in a fwd car. you elt the ass end swing out nail the gass and the front tired grip and u go its the best setup.

if you want a good rear sway go with h&r. dont bother gettign a 22mm rear sway its too small and a waste of money. the h&r is perfect size. the steeda i believe is 28mm and thats too stiff unless u have suspension mods. dotn add a front sway bar cause that voids out the rear one wich leaves u with understeer still

jerryzx3 02-20-2005 05:16 PM

Art morrison makes a nice rollcage for our cars for less than 300. Mine was 325 I believe for a full roll cage and I do drive it on the street. You aren't going to whack your head if you put the foam on it and your airbags work. It does stiffen up your car alot but probably not as much a sway bars.

romaczx3 02-20-2005 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2020vision
a rear sway bar hleps decrease understeer not increas it. and romaczx3 you will nto get snap over steer form just addign a big rear sway bar. anyways thats what u want in a fwd car. you elt the ass end swing out nail the gass and the front tired grip and u go its the best setup.

if you want a good rear sway go with h&r. dont bother gettign a 22mm rear sway its too small and a waste of money. the h&r is perfect size. the steeda i believe is 28mm and thats too stiff unless u have suspension mods. dotn add a front sway bar cause that voids out the rear one wich leaves u with understeer still

[rolleyes] Really? Having your ass hanging out into an opposite lane will be great when you try to avoid a dog in the road etc. A huge rear sway bar WILL cause some nasty oversteer in some emergency situations. I never said snap oversteer to begin with...snap oversteer is when you're in mid turn and at a neutral understeer and the balance is immediately upset into oversteer, thus snap meaning immediate, and it's usually caused by too much throttle input in the turn.

If you like your ass hanging out, then by all means go for the 24mm, just be ready to handle it in a tricky situation on the street. What feels great on an autox course doesn't work as good in the daily commute. But thanks for your insightful response 2020 [thumb]

Edit- my 22mm RSB made a huge difference. 1mm over stock will make a difference. Understeer is not some evil thing you must eliminate either, don't get caught up in myths. Fast is not swinging your ass end out all over the place.

dwdgsi03 02-20-2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2020vision
a rear sway bar hleps decrease understeer not increas it.

If you'd try reading what I type before shooting off your mouth, you may save yourself from looking like an ass.

I believe what I typed was:
Quote:

"Adding a beefier front anti-roll bar will increase the amount of understeer you'll have, so you may want to keep that in mind when shopping around."

2020vision 02-20-2005 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by romaczx3
[rolleyes] Really? Having your ass hanging out into an opposite lane will be great when you try to avoid a dog in the road etc. A huge rear sway bar WILL cause some nasty oversteer in some emergency situations. I never said snap oversteer to begin with...snap oversteer is when you're in mid turn and at a neutral understeer and the balance is immediately upset into oversteer, thus snap meaning immediate, and it's usually caused by too much throttle input in the turn.

If you like your ass hanging out, then by all means go for the 24mm, just be ready to handle it in a tricky situation on the street. What feels great on an autox course doesn't work as good in the daily commute. But thanks for your insightful response 2020 [thumb]

Edit- my 22mm RSB made a huge difference. 1mm over stock will make a difference. Understeer is not some evil thing you must eliminate either, don't get caught up in myths. Fast is not swinging your ass end out all over the place.

lol f off dumb ass. how much racing do you do? how many auot-x and track days u been to? did i ever say ass end out is fastno i said havign the rear of the car come otu a bit is good with fwd. yeha thats great if you wanan spend 150 bucks for soem plyurathane bushings and a 1mm thicker bar. only reason u felt a difference wa sformt he bushings. with a 24 you get stiffer form the thicker bar and bushings

how baotu when u go buy a real car and get soem half decent suspension mods on it you can come talk to me about handling. maybe if you bought mods instead of rs parts and try to be somethign your not that slwo cars of yours might be able to hang with a svt

hey thefrush how baotu u dotn post on topics you dont know jack crap sabout. if you think a rear sway increases oversteer then i got some ocean front property in kansas ill sell ya really cheap