Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mtx75 synchros said bye bye (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373193)

Tjrommel 02-15-2014 03:32 PM

Mtx75 synchros said bye bye

We had a few days of - 20-30 weather and ever since then third has grinded. Has anyone else fried third gear synchros yet?

dyn085 02-15-2014 03:43 PM

I did, on my ZX3. Not uncommon.

mustang0 02-16-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tjrommel (Post 5482129)
We had a few days of - 20-30 weather and ever since then third has grinded. Has anyone else fried third gear synchros yet?

Oh boy, how many miles do you have on your car? Mines ok but only have about 11,000 miles on it. Hope it's not something to worry about as I drive it pretty hard at times.

Tjrommel 02-16-2014 10:29 PM

I've got 22k. I may have killed by not double clutching in to third from high way speeds (I do that every time to slow down and make some noise lol.

dyn085 02-16-2014 11:59 PM

Double clutching is not needing in a synchronized transmission. It is quite literally exactly what the synchros are there for. I guess you don't understand the purpose of double-clutching or synchros?

Not doing something that is not required to be done does not lead to broken parts. Abusing cars for no reason, otoh, does. Learn to drive better and your parts will last longer.

sailor 02-17-2014 12:50 AM

Easy, he admitted to messing up.

Double clutching can reduce wear on the synchro's, if you NEED to do it you're probably dropping to too low a gear. Forcing it in when the speed difference is too great for the synchro's can wear them out. Hopefully the OP didn't damage the gear dogs enough to make it start popping out of gear. Now he needs to double clutch every time into third.

Changing the trans. lube a time or two to get out most of the carnage would be a good idea, at the price of Ford "Honey" for the trans. the lesson will be reinforced enough.

Tjrommel 02-17-2014 06:19 PM

In my defense, I'm not sure if you remember but... My car has had 22k I'm damage done to it. November 3rd Drunk dude hit me crushed radiator and basically a whole new body. December 8th, the day I got it back somebody rear ended me (there was a 36mph difference in our speeds...). I had a soft spot, I should have been an ass and made them total my car but I couldn't force their hand. A month later, the 7th of January we had 3 days of - 20-30 degree weather which is when third gear didn't want to go in at 65-70mph (which puts revs at about 4500) call it abuse if you wish but I don't entirely think I am to blame. When I do abuse my car (quite often as you know) I never go into third hard, first and second are where I play. I don't see how my actions could have ruined third. And it is only synchro as when I match input and output shafts it engages perfectly downshifting. I have 0 grind what so ever up shifting from second

Tjrommel 02-17-2014 06:19 PM

Should I make a claim through their insurance?

gondorian 02-19-2014 06:51 PM

My third gear synchro started wearing out this winter. But the trans has well over 200k on it.

cheap sleeper 02-20-2014 10:09 AM

Anyone who has any experience with mtx75s should be well aware of 3rd gear syncro woes. Obviously, since they are a super-common problem, I wouldn't let others make you feel like you caused it. 3rd gear especially has always been the mtx75s problem (among other things like chatter of the t.o. bearing and not liking cold weather.) Noone's insurance, including your own, will pay for internal tranny issues, as they are no dummies and won't let you attribute that to any wreck you have been in. Your options are: skip 3rd gear when driving (like I did for 2 years), buy a used tranny that has low miles, or bravely open up the tranny and replace the syncros.

I will agree with sailor that you should probably flush the tranny a couple of times. Not only would that expel grinded bits, but it could help 'free up' the syncros a bit.