Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Wall Street Journal Article -DCT (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373073)

dan50 02-15-2014 11:46 AM

Wall Street Journal Article -DCT

Today's "Wall Street Journal" has an article about Joe Hinrichs, president of Ford's Americas business. The article is about his efforts to ensure a trouble-free launch of new products, like the Lincoln MKC and aluminum-bodied F150. Hinrichs is quoted as saying to the MKC team "If there are problems, let us know how we can help. I know a guy or two."

The WSJ article goes on: "Among the guys Mr. Hinrichs knows is Ford's global product development chief, Raj Nair, who worked closely with him in Asia before becoming product chief and has spent the last year with him trying to overcome quality problems with MyFordTouch and dual-clutch transmissions."

One interpretation is that in the spring of 2013, after two years of DCT production, failed fixes and denials, Ford was still selling what was arguably a defective (or at least troublesome) product. They may have become serious about this issue only then when Mr. Nair became involved.

Not sure his efforts have been completely successful, but it does seem the level of DCT trouble is less than it has been. This would seem be an indictment of Ford's resources and commitment though: new model launch problems are not uncommon, but it's almost unheard of for a company the size of Ford to be floundering with an issue like this for 2-3 years, all the while selling the car to legions of unsuspecting Beta testers.

So, to all of you DCT owners with real issues your dealer says are "normal", be aware that these two senior Ford executives may think otherwise.

(source)

gostinger 02-15-2014 11:56 AM

I knew it and been saying this all along and called bs over a year and a half ago!

wavsine 02-15-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan50 (Post 5480793)

So, to all of you DCT owners with real issues your dealer says are "normal", be aware that these two senior Ford executives may think otherwise.

Kabigon will be along shortly with a rebuttal.

iVoid 02-15-2014 12:20 PM

i personally expect there to be problems because every time you take you foot off the pedal the car starts to break i feel like the DCT is slightly engaged every time i drive my car but who knows...

Bolto 02-15-2014 12:39 PM

Well when someone at Ford figures out a permanent solution, I hope that Ford does the right thing and offers that fix to all MK3 owners. If not, there might just be a lawsuit like VW had with their DSG.

wavsine 02-15-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolto (Post 5481009)
Well when someone at Ford figures out a permanent solution, I hope that Ford does the right thing and offers that fix to all MK3 owners. If not, there might just be a lawsuit like VW had with their DSG.

Not going to happen. Some of the squeaking wheels will get the grease but ultimately Ford is just waiting for all those 60,000 mile powertrain warranties to expire and then sayonara.

gostinger 02-15-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVoid (Post 5480969)
i personally expect there to be problems because every time you take you foot off the pedal the car starts to break i feel like the DCT is slightly engaged every time i drive my car but who knows...

Yes it burns the shit out of itself

Kabigon 02-15-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavsine (Post 5480873)
Kabigon will be along shortly with a rebuttal.

You haven't been reading my posts at all, have you?

Essentially what I have been saying over and over is this:
Clearly the DCT is capable of working well (because lots of folks tell us this).
If yours isn't working well, the dealer should fix it.

I have stated many times that the DCT issues have been greatly exacerbated by poor dealer service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gostinger (Post 5480849)
I knew it and been saying this all along and called bs over a year and a half ago!

Called BS?

Clearly some DCTs work well and some have issues.

For those that do have issues, in some cases the dealer resolves the problem and in some cases the dealer dismisses it as "normal".

This is hardly a secret.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolto (Post 5481009)
Well when someone at Ford figures out a permanent solution, I hope that Ford does the right thing and offers that fix to all MK3 owners. .

What exactly are the issues with the DCTs that are currently rolling off of the assembly line?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVoid (Post 5480969)

In this regard, how exactly should the DCT be any different than a conventional manual transmission?

dan50 02-15-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 5481345)
What exactly are the issues with the DCTs that are currently rolling off of the assembly line?

Though considerably reduced in volume, there are still 2014 DCT issues posted here. And while it may just be journalistic imprecision, the article does say "... trying to overcome quality problems...", which doesn't really say it's fixed. But things are certainly better and at least Ford is finally trying.

CunFFS13 02-15-2014 02:40 PM

Ford needs to honored his word and take care of all the DCT owners with problems