SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune!
In an effort to Stop the Insanity! related to custom tunes available for SVT owners, I am starting this thread in hopes that it can remain argument-free. Here are the rules:
1. Name WHO you got your tune from (website or contact information too, please)
2. List what flasher your tune came with
3. How much? (voluntary)
4. How long have you had the tune
5. Give a review of your tune (i.e. how easy was the install, first impressions, what differences do you notice in your car's performance and driveablility, *EDIT*was your car's T/C system altered)
6. Give a review of your tuner (i.e. how professional was he, available for questions, how fast was shipping)
7. Give links to dyno's, if you have them
I would like to suggest that we keep this thread ONLY for reviews. If anyone has any questions for the people who list reviews, please PM them. If you would like to debate or discuss the pros and cons of this tune or that tune (or tuner), please take it to one of the other threads.
Any one who doesn't heed the rules should be dragged behind a riced-out CRX by his or her eyelids! [}:)]
1. Tom from www.focus-power.com
2. Diablo Predator
3. ~$515 shipped
4. almost 4 months
5. The tune was very easy to install, even though when I received my tune the "workaround" (removing 2 fuses during install) for traction control-equipped cars hadn't been discovered yet. Because of this, along with my Predator I got a "benchflasher" (a wire harness used to connect the Predator directly to the ECU, rather than to the OBDII port). The reflash time took about a total of 10 minutes, 5 to retrieve and store my factory tune into the Predator and another 5 to load the custom tune. After I loaded the tune, I fired the car up and went for a test drive (I did not reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery or anything like that). My first and immediate impression was that the surging was gone. Woo hoo! Second, there was no more bogging out during launches. I used to have to baby the car, almost coax it to get moving. Now, all it took was a gentle application of gas and a steady release of the clutch and we were on our way! The power band was also a noticeable difference. Prior to the tune, my power would only really kick in at 5-6krpms, now it took off from 1.5K all the way up! Wow! The exhaust note sounded more aggressive and the car just seemed to come alive around me. Originally I noticed a decrease in gas mileage and thought it was from the tune, but after a few weeks when my driving settled out my MPG came right back to what I was used to. I was just laying into the gas more than usual becuase I was having so much fun! Overall I have been very satisfied with my tune. I was worried that I might later regret the large chunk of change I threw down for it, but I'm actually glad I spent that money. *EDIT* One last note, I just spoke to Tom about his disabling T/C completely using the stock T/C button (without affecting the braking system) and I found that I already had that tune. I went out to test it (never bothered using the console button because I have the kill switch hooked up). At a stop, I pushed the console TC button and the indicator lit on the dash. I revved to about 3K and let the clutch go...a little wheel spin and no bog! I then had a go with my kill switch engaged. Same thing! So, Tom has made the stock T/C button able to kill TC completely, even below 25mph. Dang, I didn't even know I had that.
6. Tom was quick to answer any questions and offered to walk me through the install over the phone if I had any problems (which of course I didn't). Shipping took over a week, but this was because Tom had to wait for the customer before me to return the benchflasher so that he could send it to me. This is no longer an issue, though.
7. Link to my dyno is in my sig. All my performance mods are listed, and NO, I don't have a baseline dyno.
1. Tom's tune, focus-power.com
2. Diablo Predator
4. just installed yesterday afternoon
5. install very easy, takes 10 min! i did it during a break at work. There's a big difference with the tune vs. stock. It acceralates much quicker, the exhaust sounds deeper, no hesitation, and no hanging revs. I've only had it for not even 24 hours and i'm very happy with it!
6. it took like 1 week to get it to me but it was the post office on my end. the only problem i had was that the first one he sent me, it didn't work on my car. it kept saying "unable to read vehicle type". i called Tom and he had me do a couple things with the flasher and he decided that it was bad from diablo and he sent me another one the next day. i got it the next day and it worked!
7. no dyno
Re: SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune!
1. Diablo predator performance tune
2. Diablo predator ( duh )
3. Less than $300
4. 1 week
5. Very easy to install - about 10 mins. First impressions / so far - no surging - much smoother revving - more power after 3000 rpm
6. He was a butthead. He lived in a box and wouldn't come out to say hi or anything.
7. No dynos, just diablos claim of 15fwhp - not sure if they are saying front wheel or fly wheel - prolly flywheel.
Overall, at first I was scared to fry my ecu. But I like the stock program being saved - I had a ranger 4.0 with a custom chip and was always bummed that I would have to remove the ecu, take off the chip , try to explain the wires going to the passenger compartment, etc. if I had to go to the dealer. With this thing, I just hook 'er up - reflash to stock - and that's it!
Deleted repeated thread questions at start of answers.
[Any one who doesn't heed the rules should be dragged behind a riced-out CRX by his or her eyelids! [}:)] [/B][/QUOTE]
2. SCT Excalibrator with PC to Xcal cable and Extreme Tuning Software
4. 2 Days
5. From 20 on, this car pulls like no other. Makes YRF0 look like a 2 year old wrote it. No more crashing idle, surging, bogging off the line, etc. My driving style is; ger it going to about 20 and just lay into it. My tires instantly fight to grab the pavement. Pulls hard to 7600.
T/C Edit - With the switch off (no light) it barely activates...when you hit the button, TC is gone. No more 21mph burnouts!!
6. What can I say here to not sound biased!!?? My tuner is the best! ;-)
7. No Dyno yet...tuesday I hope...
1. Tom Lesperance (focus-power.com)
2. Diablo Predator
4. just over 5 months
5. Hard to install, but that was typical at the time - this was done in the field, and not much was known about bench-flashers and nothing was known about removing the fuses to get T/C control cars to take the flash - this was one of the first cars to get the flash. Took five tries and several hours to get the flash into the car. Impressions were immediate - no bog, slightly higher idle, much fatter midrange and a bit more power overall, different sound, much better general driveability and it made driving with A/C on much more pleasant. One of the problem areas that YRF0 (which I upgraded to from RLA6 after two months of ownership) did not entirely fix was cold-start behavior upon hot restart - it would act cold again for a block or so, even if it had been driven for an hour and shut off for a minute and then restarted. Tom's tune took care of that for good. YRF0 had almost eliminated 2k-3k RPM surge, but the Diablo tune killed it dead. No gas mileage impact at all.
I have always been under the impression that my tune did not change the T/C system's behavior in any way - this was one of the first ones, and I don't think Tom had that down then. I will be testing one of his recent ones over the next week or so - I have the s/w and the cables to hook up my Predator to the PC now. As I understand it, he can now basically make the factory T/C switch act the way it should have all along - it defaults to on, but when you turn it off - it's off.
6.I did not have the unit sent to me - I arranged to meet Tom at a Fun Ford Weekend in New Hampshire - a long drive for me and a busy race weekend for him. He made himself available and worked to overcome some of the technical glitches that cropped up (this was back in the day, now [;)] ). He would not take my $$ but just asked me to send him a check if I wanted to keep it, and just return the Predator - with his tune in it - if I didn't. I left and drove 535 miles home. Sent a check later in the week.
7. No scan of my dyno - done at McNews a couple of months later. Peak hp was 149 @ 6600 rpm and peak torque 133 @ just over 5000. Typical bulge below 2500 and from 4000-6000 that these tunes exhibit, compared to stock. Only performance mod other than the tune is a Pipercross drop-in. I have no baseline dyno. Have not fooled with datalogging - yet.
Re: Re: SVT owners: Post reviews of your Tune!
JUST GOT TOM'S TUNE TODAY. Main difference after 1 test run is that my low end power is much better. No more waiting to get up from 2k to 4k almost instantaneous.
1. Hypnotic's SCT tune.
3. 2 weeks
4. Very simple to install ... you only have to remove one fuse. Plug it into your ODBC, and watch the pretty lights. The complete download/upload took roughly a half hour.
5. Car now has tons of low end oomph, which is awesome for around town type driving. Idle now takes about 5 seconds to stabilize (900rpm), as opposed to a minute or 2.
6. This is the tune that should have came from the factory. I'm guessing maybe a half second improvement in the quarter, with most of that improvement coming before you hit 70.
7. Will dyno eventually; I am kinda curious. Where is my sticker Wayne!!?
1. Wayne (Hypnotic Illusions) www.hypillauto.com
2. SCT X-Calibrator
4. Had this tune (and subsequent tweaks) approximately 3 months
5. So far, this has been the best thing I have done to my Focus. Low end power is more than improved, takeoffs are easier and more consistent. My car was running dangerously lean from the factory (17.1 : 1 A/F) in the lower RPMs, now running about 13 : 1 across the board. Able to exit corners in the appropiate gear, instead of having to go one gear lower just to keep the car moving!
Installation was simple: remove the #46 fuse and away we went. flashed through OBD-II port, back when bench-flashing was still prevelant. Takes about 12 minutes to flash the PCM, but well worth it when you consider the results!
6. I chose to go with Wayne because of his customer service (even before I was a customer) I swear no allegiance to SCT or DiabloSport, I could really care less what hardware I use...I do care about the results and confidence I feel in the product I purchase, and I am supremely confident in Waynes tune. And, I know if I have a problem, it will get taken care of in a timely matter. No worrying about not being able to get in touch with him, heck, he emails me to see how things are going! i have received about 10 updates from Wayne, all requested by me based on my cars particular response to his tune.
7. My most current dyno
1) Hypnotic ( Wayne )
2) SCT X-Cal
3) $345 shipped with flasher, port cable, PC cable
4) 3 Weeks or so
5) Abso-friggin-lutely love the bloody thing. Car runs like a champ now. Easy install, instructions that came with the unit were the finest and most thought-out I've ever seen, period. Took about 15 minutes from start to finish, with the longest time taken by downloading the OEM program, the upload happened so fast it was like the car couldn't wait to receive it, lol.
6) Wayne's a real gentleman, great person to do business with, as he expands those looking for mods aside from his flasher would be doing themselves a great disservice to not seek him out.
7) Dyno slips coming, car's stock numbers ( as taken in Denver, CO ) were 144.6 horse/131.9 TQ, I'm expecting a significant improvement.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.|