Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Idea to spruce up a stock rear bumper...cheap idea...need opinions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33682)

J-Dawg 01-05-2005 01:57 PM

Idea to spruce up a stock rear bumper...cheap idea...need opinions

Hey all,

was thinking of ideas on how to doctor up the rear bumper on my mineral grey focus....still has the stock rear bumper and I've been looking for rear lip kits, but haven't found any that look clean as what I want

i do like the look and styling of the SVT rear bumper but don't want a 400 dollar bumper then add painting price...ugh

so I was thinking....what do I like best about the SVT rear bumper...I personally like the blacked out lower part of it....that's what really draws me to it...and gives the illusion of a dropped in the rear stance that everyone wants

and I don't believe an SVT rear bumper's lower edge is any lower or closer to the ground then a stock ZX5 bumper

so here's the idea finally......if I went to a place that makes and supplies body graphix and asked them for a matte black finish graphic that would mimic the exact same shape of the blacked out part on an SVT rear bumper and applied it to my stock bumper.....would that give the lower stance look and the eye candy apeal I'm going for? or just look tacky?

best part is...that if it doesn't look good....its easly removed..

also..reason I think it may look good is because I'm mounting a matte black front chin spoiler from a Mach 1 stang onto the front......and with my car being mineral grey....it being a sticker application shouldn't stand out too much

all opinions wanted

Jim

S2 01-05-2005 02:08 PM

Pics would be perfect right about now, if you put it on. Might look pretty good. Hard to say without pics though.

J-Dawg 01-05-2005 02:12 PM

well...wanted opinions before going and doing the leg work on finding a place to get the matte finish graphic

I could probably just get an oversided piece in matte black and trace it and cut it out myself

I'll look round this week

Jim

beat3rfocus 01-05-2005 02:13 PM

i would say tacky..but i want to see pics.

S2 01-05-2005 02:13 PM

Watch putting the vinyl by the exhaust pipe cause the bumper does get hot and so will the vinyl. Not sure how far over your planning to put the design but something to think about.

DrRay 01-05-2005 02:14 PM

Try photoshopping the idea. I've been looking for a non-rice rear lip for my liquid grey ZX3. I've got the black cupped lip front spoiler coming. They make some very cool carbon fiber rear lips for Japanese cars, but no Focus yet (?).

J-Dawg 01-05-2005 02:24 PM

the graphic would follow the same lines that the SVT rear black out part does, so it would go on either side of the tail pipe....but my tail pipe isn't rubbing the bumper.... its a square chrome extension off the stock tail pipe and plently of clearance away from the bumper...so no worries on the graphic going up in smoke

what I'll do first is take brown bag material, spray it matte black with spray paint and fit it up and snap a photo.....maybe this weekend will be a nice weekend

I'll keep you posted

keep your opinions coming...good and bad.......not like you'd be offending me...its just an idea

Jim

Chick 01-05-2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by S2
Pics would be perfect right about now, if you put it on. Might look pretty good. Hard to say without pics though.
Yeah, I have to agree. I'm trying to picture it but it's kinda hard to see what it would look like.

fast5 01-05-2005 02:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
wings west back clip on my car before paint

spikNspan DAN 01-05-2005 02:44 PM

^^^ wow, that helps a lot... lemme go get my magnifying glass!

I'm trying to picture the idea, but in my head it looks cartoony and not that good. without a pic I would think it is gonna look really tacky, but I need to see it.