Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Tail Light Problem :-( (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33253)

W~Phoenix~{RC} 12-30-2004 12:01 AM

Tail Light Problem :-(

So this is kind of interesting. I'm having a problem with my passenger side brake light. When I have my parking lights or headlights on, my driver side brake light illuminates but my passenger side brake light does not. However, when I apply my brake, both brake lights illuminate.

I went to change the brake light bulb to see if that fixed the problem and it didn't. I don't think that the socket is bad, otherwise the light wouldn't light up when I applied the break. Maybe a fuse is blown somewhere? I haven't messed around with my tail light wiring harness or anything electrical like that at all, so I don't know what the problem could be. Any thoughts on what would be wrong? Thanks.

Cheers!

zx3mark 12-30-2004 12:26 AM

Doesn't it still have warranty? If it does take it back to your dealer and let them worry about it.

If not maybe a wire is grounding out somewhere, from what I think the both running lights should run off the same fuse. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but that is how it is on all of my other cars I've owned.

S2 12-30-2004 08:19 AM

Wow that's a strange one, yeah I think I would take it in also. With electrical things like that, it could be just about anywhere and to save on the headache it'll probably be easier if the FORD techs deal with it.

Lil PZEV 12-30-2004 12:17 PM

I had a similar problem a while back, except both lights wouldn't go on- except when I hit the brakes.

It was a fuse... check the fuse map and pull whichever one it says, to check it. Only cost me like $5, and didn't have to stop at the dealer, this was several months ago and they're good since.

If it's not a fuse and your warranty's still good, by all means use it.

S2 12-30-2004 01:48 PM

There could very well be different fuses for the different 'actions' on the back tails. I am not 100% sure but fuses are either good or bad, no inbetween so that would explain maybe a multiple fuse setup.

I am just guessing but I know that cause the bulbs are on and then can get brighter also that maybe it's like the setup for headlights. You know when the headlight burns out but the hibeam still works on some cars, maybe something like that. Either way, even if you took it in to the dealership, they can check it real quick and let ya know, might not even be a warranty issue and just a $2 bulb or something. Good luck....

goinloco1 12-30-2004 02:35 PM

Are you actually talking the brake light or parking light on the rear? way I'm reading what you posted its the park light isn'y working since it lights when you hit the brakes.

focuSE 12-30-2004 02:42 PM

check the fuse. that happened to me last month

Stephs2.0Focus 12-30-2004 06:11 PM

I say if you're still under warranty let the people at Ford deal with it, get your moneys worth. Thats what its there for right?[thumb]

S2 12-30-2004 06:20 PM

For sure but if it's just a fuse, it's easier then booking the car in.

W~Phoenix~{RC} 12-31-2004 11:59 AM

Well it was indeed a blown fuse. Before I went to take my car into the dealership, I also noticed that my front driver side corner repeater was also not working, except when I was using the blinker. This was the exact same problem with my passenger side brake light.

So I thought that I would go ahead and fix the corner repeater problem first, so I actually checked all of my fuses and only one was broke. Fuse 58, which is for the parking lights on the left side of the car. This also fixed the brake problem.

I'm just confused why the fuse for the left side of the car also fixed the brake problem for the right side of the car... reminds me kind of how the the brain works... but meh.

Problem solved. Thanks a lot for the input. Much <3

Cheers!