Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   What to do for better MPG (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324909)

rjhansen 09-12-2013 10:14 PM

What to do for better MPG

My new 2014 sedan is scheduled to arrive next week. Looking for suggestions on how to improve MPG.

I am not interested in driving below "normal" (keep up with surrounding traffic) in order to achieve.

Yes, I tried searching for similar threads -but seems what I found was from a few years ago.

Does anyone have metrics on the following?
- auto shutters
- CAI
- wheel coverings
- weight reduction

What weight can be reduced? It would seem that Ford would have done this, as it would save them money. Are there things I can remove that would not change my driving experience but make a measurable difference?

I have always been confused on CAI mods. It seems to me that for the cost and supposed benefits (HP and MPG) that Ford would do it right. Really, what would it take $ wise on Fords part to add a Steeda type design? $50-$75 a car (if that). In the grand scheme of a $10k (cost) car would that not be a benefit in order to advertise another 2-4mpg (which is what members here report) and increase in HP (which members here report)? What's the true story? What am I missing?

It seems the package that Ford sells basically adds hub caps to the wheels. Are there options to do this ourselves with the standard wheels? Even using JB weld? [:o]

Please don't turn this into an argument over one brand or another, just looking for advice on what you have found works (measurable) and what the increase in MPG (measurable) was. And I would prefer actual measurements, rather than usage of the inboard computer. yes, I do not trust that.

Thank you in advance.

Rick

rjhansen 09-12-2013 10:19 PM

Further comment on my measurement comment. What I mean is, fill up tank, log mileage, fill up tank. Divide miles driven by gallons filled. I find that this measurement over time and a few hundred miles is much better at measuring changes.

Short trips can be influenced by weather, up hill, down hill, etc... Where as, most of us drive pretty consistently every week. So what is your MPG each week, over time. Then make a mod and measure again over time.

Yes, my name is Rick and I am anal.

mikebontoft 09-12-2013 10:30 PM

that's quite a bit extra per vehicle. In 2012, they sold 246K foci. If they had tacked on another $50-75, that's about 12.3-18.4 million dollars out of their pocket.

rjhansen 09-12-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebontoft (Post 4873637)
that's quite a bit extra per vehicle. In 2012, they sold 246K foci. If they had tacked on another $50-75, that's about 12.3-18.4 million dollars out of their pocket.

I guess I was thinking they would pass it along, not do it out if the goodness of their hearts. Did you have any MPG info to share? You seem to be a mega member here, certainly you have learned some things to share. (Plz) :)

Slo86GT 09-12-2013 11:24 PM

Honestly, changing driving habits will net you more of a MPG change than spending thousands of dollars on aftermarket mods. The only cheap mods that really net noticeable mileage improvements would be stripping interior and sound deadening, and adding aero improvements.

Creative 09-12-2013 11:34 PM

Get a drop in filter. Preferable either green filter or K&n e-9289 then drive like nicely without reving past 2500. Doing this in my manual I noticed a gain of about 20-40 mpg on my commute to work (mpg depends on construction zone I drive through) right now I'm averaging 38.7mpg on a commute of 85 miles and averaging 45-55mph.

rjhansen 09-12-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slo86GT (Post 4873708)
Honestly, changing driving habits will net you more of a MPG change than spending thousands of dollars on aftermarket mods. The only cheap mods that really net noticeable mileage improvements would be stripping interior and sound deadening, and adding aero improvements.

I do know that but I am not interested in doing that. My goal is 45+ on the highway, at highway speeds. (70mph)

What aero improvements and what have you found the metrics to be?

rjhansen 09-12-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creative (Post 4873723)
Get a drop in filter. Preferable either green filter or K&n e-9289 then drive like nicely without reving past 2500. Doing this in my manual I noticed a gain of about 20-40 mpg on my commute to work (mpg depends on construction zone I drive through) right now I'm averaging 38.7mpg on a commute of 85 miles and averaging 45-55mph.

You must mean a gain of 2-4, as 20-40 and only getting 38.7 would mean you were only getting -5mpg before that mod. :)

Gi_Jo_Nathan 09-12-2013 11:43 PM

One main reason I think cars don't come with open aftermarket type of intakes, is because most consumers wouldn't like the noise. And they'd rather you buy a new filter when it's dirty..

rjhansen 09-12-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gi_Jo_Nathan (Post 4873737)
One main reason I think cars don't come with open aftermarket type of intakes, is because most consumers wouldn't like the noise. And they'd rather you buy a new filter when it's dirty..

That logic I get. Good point.