Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Auto X Setup (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32206)

Templar 12-13-2004 01:53 PM

Auto X Setup

I know a few people on here auto cross...
Would you mind sharing your set up? I am going to start going to the local crosses here and wanted to get some experianced input on some things. I ahve read all the rule books and the start up guides. I am just interested in basic setup tips and tricks...

Egz 12-13-2004 08:46 PM

I currently run H&R Sport Springs, Koni Adjustables, Progress rear sway bar, some polyurathane bushings, and some Hankook R-compounds (Used to be Azenis).

Its a nice setup, but I could go for a stiffer spring.

Now comes the quesion on how much do you want to spend to be competative. Konis or Spax adjustibles are an excellent damper for autocross, but cost more than something like Eibachs. The beauty is you can dial in how much rotation you need, without having something crazy for the street.

Carrera26 12-14-2004 10:02 AM

What class do you want to be in? I am getting adjustable Konis before next season, and some Azenis, but cannot do much else unless I leave G Stock (which I don't want to do yet). I would suggest a good performance alignment (as much camber as you can get and some toe-out in the rear to get more rotation). If you have, or will have, coil-overs I would suggest the alignment and getting corner-weighted. Then take it out to a wide open space and play with it, and see what settings suit your style the most.
I would personally love to get my rear end looser. I have a hard time getting it to rotate and therefore am struggling with understeer throughout the course. But i am not sure what more to do and stay in G stock...

Templar 12-14-2004 08:05 PM

I plan on running STS. I added some eibach sportlines before I got interested in Auto X so now I am saving for the Koni adjustables... I was wondering about camber angles and tire presures... Does anyone adjust their own alignment...?

Carrera26 12-15-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Templar
I plan on running STS. I added some eibach sportlines before I got interested in Auto X so now I am saving for the Koni adjustables... I was wondering about camber angles and tire presures... Does anyone adjust their own alignment...?
Not without some equipment. Get it aligned, and then go out and do a few races without really dialing it in. 95% of your improvement is going to have to come from your own driving, and you are just going to be shooting in the dark if you try to do this before you actually race. After you go a few times, you will get a real idea of what you WANT to change, and how MUCH you want it to change. Resist the urge to [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]** with it for a while, and you will end up much better.

WD40 12-15-2004 06:09 PM

^^^^Good Suggestions^^^^
Get it aligned, and run what ya got.
Once you get a few events under your belt, and a really good feel for the car,
then you can decide whether you want to "mod" the suspension any further or not.

Biggest thing to start off with is tire pressures.
I ran GS all year, and this is what I found that works for me.
These are "cold temps", before a run.
Short course, like a parking lot, with a lot of tight turns:
49front/31rear
Long course, like at an airport with higher speeds:
47front/32rear

Just have fun, and don't push it too hard.
If you're getting tire squeeling like mad, and pushing in the turns.....SLOW DOWN!

liquid01 12-15-2004 10:53 PM

Tire pressuers are going to change with the style of tire you have on the car...With a standard sportlines andfalkens I was up in the 50`s front--Then into total eibach suspension with hoosiers into the mid40-45`s front. The back I always ran about 5-10 pounds less. As stated before depending on the size of the course.

Templar 12-16-2004 11:04 AM

good stuff, good stuff...