Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Battery relay clicking, loss of all electrical, then it returns (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320714)

jmkma 07-09-2013 04:50 PM

Battery relay clicking, loss of all electrical, then it returns

I have had this intermittent problem for a couple of years. I have found similar problems on the web, but no solution.

While driving, battery relay under dash starts to click loudly, all lights on dash start blinking, the engine will stutter like it is dying, but usually keeps running. Occasionally if you shut the car off while this is happening it will not restart. In fact it is like the battery has been disconnected. No courtesy lights, radio, horn, switches - everything is completely dead. If you play around with light switches, hitting brakes, turning ignition off and on, etc. Elecricity will magically reappear. It will start right up and run fine until the next time it happens. Occasionally when this happens what I think is an idle selonoid or something in front of the engine will click as well as the relay.

Have replaced battery, alternator and the clicking solenoid in engine compartment (I can;t remember what it is called but the new one clicks randomly as well), checked grounds and alternator leads. Like I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of posts of people having this problem, but no solution. I am giving this car to my daughter and woudl like to get it corrected. I have no interest in bringing it to a dealer as it appears no dealer ever succesfully fixed this problem for all the other people that had it and I have a limited budget.

Is there anyone who had this problem and was able to determine what caused it and how to fix it?

This was probably the last Ford for me - I've lived for a couple of years with an unreliable car (was purchased new) and find a problem like this unacceptable. I can understand an occasional one-off crazy problem, but a lot of people have had this issue so there must be a common problem.

1turbofocus 07-09-2013 05:59 PM

My guess would be your small ground wires to the left of your Batt and on inner fender well and the small wires going to the post on your Batt , there is a few of them and I would remove them all , sand them and replace them to see if that helps , it did one customers car I was working on

Tom

jmkma 07-10-2013 01:06 PM

Thanks Tom, I will try that this weekend.

ligardner 07-13-2013 01:34 PM

Hi,
This is a familiar story. My daughter has a 2005 Focus with the same issues: relay clicking, dash lights flicker, radio loses stations, headlights went crazy once . I knew it was some type of bad ground but she was too far away for me to help her. She finally located a small shop in NW Tennessee that diagnosed the problem. Can't tell you the name of the part, but it near the PCM and it was corroded. They replaced it and that fixed it. After two years of living with this. When she return home I'll ask her the name of that part.

-Lytt

NC-Mike 08-18-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ligardner (Post 4807491)
Hi,
This is a familiar story. My daughter has a 2005 Focus with the same issues: relay clicking, dash lights flicker, radio loses stations, headlights went crazy once . I knew it was some type of bad ground but she was too far away for me to help her. She finally located a small shop in NW Tennessee that diagnosed the problem. Can't tell you the name of the part, but it near the PCM and it was corroded. They replaced it and that fixed it. After two years of living with this. When she return home I'll ask her the name of that part.

-Lytt

Please do, I am having much the same issue.

TIA.