Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2001 Focus Not Start (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320712)

MikeD83 07-09-2013 03:47 PM

2001 Focus Not Start

Went to leave work the other day turned the key and nothing happened. Turned it again and the car started. Got home and then had to leave again went out and it wouldn't start again. Tried jumping the battery first nothing happened. There is an audible click from the engine compartment(loud) but the started wasn't turning. Replace the ignition relay still nothing. Went to the starter next removed it and brought it to advance auto to have it tested the said it was bad. Replaced the starter still the same thing, loud audible click from engine compartment. Unsure where to go next I am wondering if the alternator is shot? Any advice would be appreciated.

Gav-O-SVT 07-09-2013 04:11 PM

Take your alternator out and have it tested, that could very well be your problem. If it is good then you might have a short somewhere. My best bet is that your alternator is starting to crap out on you, mine just went out last week and cost me almost $200... The alt was not charging my batt and the car was starting to sputter, like if you were about to run out of gas but luckly I was close to home and made it back but when i tried to roll up my window, nothing happened. My batt was drained and the alt was making just enough juice to bairly keep the car running. I turned it off and tried to start it back up and nothing happened, completely dead. So yeah, get your alternator tested, depending on the age of your batt, you might want to replace that too. Good luck!

Gav-O-SVT 07-09-2013 04:16 PM

I have a question for you, did your battery light ever come on just before this happened, I noticed that my batt light came on and thats when my car started to act up, indicates a problem with the charging system. You might have not noticed it but if it did then like I said, your alternator is prob shot. When you take it to get it tested, have your battery checked as well just to be safe. Best of luck to ya.

MikeD83 07-09-2013 04:25 PM

Thanks guys ill get the alternator checked next then. Didn't notice a battery light but just checked it is on when the key is turned over after the rest of the dash light go out. The battery is fairly new. Funny though that the starter tested bad as well.

crazy_urn 07-09-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeD83 (Post 4803236)
Thanks guys ill get the alternator checked next then. Didn't notice a battery light but just checked it is on when the key is turned over after the rest of the dash light go out. The battery is fairly new. Funny though that the starter tested bad as well.

The starter may have been good enough to start the car, but not to pass the test... Quite possible with 12 year old parts....

If you find the alt is bad, make sure you have the battery tested after it is replaced. as Gav-O pointed out, dying alternators can be hell on batteries, even new ones.

By the way, what engine do you have in your focus?

I don't know about the zetec, but on the SPI the alt. is a real easy swap. hardest part is getting the accessory belt on at the end. Might be a good idea to check your belt tensioner while you have the belt off.

MikeD83 07-09-2013 05:33 PM

I have the zetec engine, alternator is pretty easy to get to. I'll get it taken off tomorrow, hope its the alternator I really don't feel like dealing with a short somewhere.

UnbridledCarnage 07-09-2013 06:27 PM

moving ya to tech chat for more help

MikeD83 07-15-2013 11:35 PM

2001 Ford Focus 16v Zetec No Start Continued...

Posted last week sometime and got some good advice on where to start. Replaced the ignition relay, starter, and alternator. Car still will not turn over. The key turns, and all I get is one click from the engine compartment. Looking for some more advice on what could be causing this. Thanks.

amc49 07-16-2013 12:30 PM

Power supply to starter, or, cable condition. Probably what it was all along...........need to check main engine ground too.

I see nothing still of battery load tested. I replaced plenty of crap batteries that failed in less than a year, often with people who insisted on buying the too cheap (less CCA) battery. You play, you pay................Battery needs load test at correct CCA. Could easily cause that. In heat like now our battery replacements went up like 400%.

MikeD83 07-19-2013 09:36 AM

Just had the battery load tested like you suggested amc49 CCA is at 666 and running at 12.7 volts. Started checking the wiring to starter and I will check the ground as well.