Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320344)

oritpro 07-03-2013 11:58 AM

Why Automakers Should Stop the Infotainment Arms Race
 
An interesting article on Slashdot today about infotainment systems. Automakers would do well to consider the comments of the Slashdot crowd as reasonable insight into what people really want out of an IVI.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/07...ment-arms-race

To quote the submitter of the article:

Consumers would prefer to see a standards-based system that allows the interface of their existing mobile OS of choice duplicated or extended on an in-dash touchscreen, while having audio redirected from their device to the vehicle's speakers. Start focusing on technologies like Miracast and Bluetooth and how they can be used to augment a customer's mobile device, rather than replace it.


I've been saying this all along, building proprietary IVI solutions is not the answer.

By the way I plan to kick off my blog this week and will post up the details on my Raspberry Pi project (called Pi Link) that I've discussed in other threads. It will be soon followed by some details on the new project I am working on that is way cooler.

Edit: Here's the logo/wallpaper I made for Pi Link.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Z..._Link_Logo.jpg

mac.mogul 07-03-2013 12:12 PM

Apple is spearheading the correct approach with iOS 7 where it basically takes over the in-car A/V and Apple has done all the work on UI to work flawlessly with their mobile platform.

All the automakers need to do is supply hardware with basic functions and an open platform that allows the user to use the system of their choosing. I've been saying this for a loooooong time.

Edit: Hmm, I should've read more in detail. I'm more or less just repeating everything already posted.

Bogey 07-03-2013 12:17 PM

Idk, I think apples new in car system is a bad idea, because it limits the amount of people to purchase that vehicle if your a diehard Android user... Something that is universal is a lot better of an idea there just needs to be more collaboration between apple/google/microsoft, and car manufactures to code the software to be more copacetic.

mac.mogul 07-03-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey (Post 4797965)
Idk, I think apples new in car system is a bad idea, because it limits the amount of people to purchase that vehicle if your a diehard Android user... Something th at is universal is slot better of an idea there just needs to be more collaboration between apple/google/microsoft, and car manufactures IMO.

Apple's in-car system only applies if you've got an Apple mobile device... If you have an Android/Microsoft/RIM then you'll be using the car manufacturers features and software. That's as of now with up-coming systems that will be compatible with iOS 7. There are plenty of manufacturers working with Apple, but Ford is not one of them.

The pressure should not be on car manufacturers and should instead be on the mobile developers to include automotive compatibility with their respective devices. The Auto manufacturers just need to come up with a standard open-platform for in-car infotainment systems.

raptor1956 07-05-2013 05:51 PM

Apple will be quick to try to lock out the competition with patents and you can be sure they'll spend a fortune to keep Android out of the car infotainment segment.

The other problem is that not everyone has or wants a smart phone so should they be told, sorry pal, your SOL.

What would be nice is an infotainment system that has a decent built in system with NAV and BT phone and music with USB, BT and built in (SiriusXM etc); and, in addition, a feature to allow a smart phone to drive the whole thing without being locked to iOS or Android.

The other other problem is that car makers like to control things so giving things over to Android or iOS is not something they're inclined to be happy with.


Brian

FoFoTi 07-05-2013 06:44 PM

Anyone here involved with openXC ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...STDdyY0E#gid=0

oritpro 07-05-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -sfe- (Post 4799919)

You mean the give all your ideas and inventions to Ford for free OpenXC project?

I signed on but didn't do anything with it. The developer agreement was too restrictive and I couldn't see the value in spending my own time and money on something I couldn't incorporate into my own creations.

I don't need it anyway.

mac.mogul 07-05-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor1956 (Post 4799891)
Apple will be quick to try to lock out the competition with patents and you can be sure they'll spend a fortune to keep Android out of the car infotainment segment.

You're mad because Apple patents their designs? I'd be willing to bet if it were anything other than Apple, you wouldn't have even spoken up. [rolleyes]

Quote:

The other problem is that not everyone has or wants a smart phone so should they be told, sorry pal, your SOL.
It's 2013. If you're buying a car with bluetooth audio connectivity or navigation, have a freaking smart phone already.

Quote:

What would be nice is an infotainment system that has a decent built in system with NAV and BT phone and music with USB, BT and built in (SiriusXM etc); and, in addition, a feature to allow a smart phone to drive the whole thing without being locked to iOS or Android.
Yeah because Automakers have done such a great job of that so far.... Hence this entire discussion?!

Quote:

The other other problem is that car makers like to control things so giving things over to Android or iOS is not something they're inclined to be happy with.
Considering that all of these built-in infotainment centers are designed by third parties for the automakers leads me to believe that they don't give a flip. The OE infotainment thing is purely a marketing gimmick.

lewisra 07-06-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac.mogul (Post 4800062)
It's 2013. If you're buying a car with bluetooth audio connectivity or navigation, have a freaking smart phone already.



.

If I buy a car with BT and Nav, why would I want a smart phone?

slybarman 07-06-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor1956 (Post 4799891)
Apple will be quick to try to lock out the competition with patents and you can be sure they'll spend a fortune to keep Android out of the car infotainment segment.

Let me fix that for you:

Apple will be quick to patent designs that make use of prior art they didn't even develop, strut around like they are innovators, and then whine like little [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] when others copy their copy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp