Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   New to the focus performance (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320160)

freeclowns 07-01-2013 04:31 AM

New to the focus performance

So I have read that it is not that hard to lean out a focus... As the title has stated I am new to the focus performance part of the world... I am looking to see what I can do right now with out needing a tune...

My wife has a 01 zx3 standard and I will also have a zx3,svt or zx5 soon....I am just replaced stuff due to PO failing to take care of the car.. I have ordered her a Volant intake/w ram scoop. I have not ordered anything else for her motor as of right now...

I know her cat is going bad and I will be doing the svt header swap soon ( new svt header used cat and 2-2.25 exhaust piping)... I am also looking into the ( I think) zx2 intake manifold swap. I will be ordering her a Innovative air/fuel gauge soon also... So what can I really get away with before I lean out the motor?

Also I am going to swapping out her struts and spring this week sometime.. I Need to know some parts I may want to order on the rear suspension.What I mean like new bolts ( will be replacing swap bar bushing), anything that has to do with the lower/upper control arms?

I was reading a write up on doing the rear suspension and he had to replace the " spring perch". What is a spring perch and is that the part on the rear LCA that the bottom of the spring sits on?

A little information about what suspension that is going on her car.. I ordered her the Ford racing svt upgrade strut kit and some Tein springs... I maybe ordering her a Energy suspension bushing kit also. While I am doing her struts I will be doing tie rods, front LCA and front sway bar links...

Something that came to me just a moment a go also... I am having some camber problems out of her rear suspension. I have had a alignment done when I put new tires on ther car. The passenger rear could not be set perfect, but was in the okay range.. I got to looking at the rim again last night and I can see its starting to camber inward again.. So when I put the lowering springs on the car should I get a rear camber kit ( I am not into the fad of cambering your wheels inward/outward) to make sure I can set the alignment to stock specs?

Sorry for the long post and I am sure some broken english was used * it's 4:30am lol !_!{^_^}!_! *.. I like to do things right the first time and if it comes down to replaced old bots so be it...

Thanks for any info and help.... !_!{^_^}!_!

LouBomb 07-01-2013 12:14 PM

One thing I recommend doing as preventive measure or even performace enhancer.. is to get a tune.. that should be a priority after maintance work.. check out focus-power or fswerks.. not only will that solve your leaning out issues...but it will enhance the performace aspect of adding the header/exhaust/intake...

freeclowns 07-01-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouBomb (Post 4795538)
One thing I recommend doing as preventive measure or even performace enhancer.. is to get a tune.. that should be a priority after maintance work.. check out focus-power or fswerks.. not only will that solve your leaning out issues...but it will enhance the performace aspect of adding the header/exhaust/intake...

Right I understand that part of the tune hints the air/fuel gauge... I will have it tuned via dyno.... I know the programmer starts at 399.99, but I am trying to see for now if the Volant intake is to much for the car right now?

I also can I get some info on what the spring perchis?

Magus2727 07-01-2013 08:31 PM

air intake... no its not really doing enough. the SVT exhaust yet. You also need to look at a tune to remove EGR (some have said there are "other ways") or you will have a cell. The SVT exhaust will lean out the motor to what some say is "unsafe". Focus power will provide updates for when new parts are added on. Note though the Xcal 2 program is tied to the vin number via the ECU. you will need to get one for each vehicle if you want a tune on each.

freeclowns 07-01-2013 08:59 PM

LMAO Focus power picture is of a race track in my state.. I don't think FocusFest has been back tho :(

tho now I understand the tuning setup now... I took the time to read what they are offering and how it works