Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Totaled st (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319667)

Creative 06-23-2013 12:45 AM

Totaled st

So I just want to know what to expect to receive from my st which got totaled earlier today. It got hit in right rear by a Chevy pickup doing 30mph. The truck had minor damage but my focus suffered big time. Insurance towed it away and guy told me it was totaled and to go look at some new cars.

I still have a loan out on the car for less than 12k but I'm just wondering what's the insurance payout for the car. I found a white st3 that im in love wth and want pick it up but only if insurance pays out a good amount.

mikebontoft 06-23-2013 12:49 AM

I imagine the Chevy is at fault?

Creative 06-23-2013 01:08 AM

Oh yeah, it was absolutely his fault. It was a PA tourist and he ran a red light. I'm not quite sure how you can miss a red light but somehow he was not paying attention and hit me. There were several witnesses that say he was on his phone but I did not see that, I actually did not even see him run the light till he hit me. It was kind of luck cause if he had done this about ten second earlier he would have plowed through a group of people walking to the beach.

LensDriven 06-23-2013 02:59 AM

Not sure what itd be worth to them... If its his fault- his insurance should have to replace yours with equal or better. Was he insured? If yours is totaled, don't sign anything until you're sure it's a fair deal. A car will usually be given market value. If you got photos of the accident... Do you have photos of it before the wreck? I'd go and find all the cars that are in the same condition as yours was, the ones for sale for the most, and prepare packet so that you're ready to argue what your car is worth should they not offer what you want. If it was me... I'd be prepared to let them know I'm willing to hire a lawyer if needed. They usually want to give you a depreciated value... You can look at similars for an idea what they'd pay. But, honestly- I'd argue for more for the inconvieniance. Plus all costs to get the car legal- tax, tag, title, dealer fees.

Edit: I didn't realize this was the st forum.. Duh, ST.

gerryyy 06-23-2013 05:38 AM

Get yourself checked out too.

Sorry to hear about the hit you took. Please realize that all that energy from the crash went through you. Get yourself to a doctor for a post crash check up. Things like soft tissue damage, concussion, vision and sleep problems can all be a direct result of the energy from the crash going through you. You're not being a dick by getting checked out. Do it first thing tomorrow.

VAfromMN 06-23-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryyy (Post 4785818)
Sorry to hear about the hit you took. Please realize that all that energy from the crash went through you. Get yourself to a doctor for a post crash check up. Things like soft tissue damage, concussion, vision and sleep problems can all be a direct result of the energy from the crash going through you. You're not being a dick by getting checked out. Do it first thing tomorrow.

And take it from experience, if anything does develop later and you did not go to the ER, you generally do not stand a chance of anything going your way in any legal proceedings!

Elizabeth 06-23-2013 07:56 AM

Yeah. You should definitey get the same quality of car as good or better.
The retail blue book is what should be the payout.
Some insurance covers a new (er) car as replacement.
My insurance has that for a few extra bucks.
The cfact the person hit you I would think you should get a brand new car (same ST) free. (or a free as what you owe..
Hire an ambulance chaser lawyer and get it free PLUS $20,000. or more.
Wearing a neck brace for a few months... [like]

AZfocus2012 06-23-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4785855)
Yeah. You should definitey get the same quality of car as good or better.
The retail blue book is what should be the payout.
Some insurance covers a new (er) car as replacement.
My insurance has that for a few extra bucks.
The cfact the person hit you I would think you should get a brand new car (same ST) free. (or a free as what you owe..
Hire an ambulance chaser lawyer and get it free PLUS $20,000. or more.
Wearing a neck brace for a few months... [like]

It used to be, insurance companies had to "make you whole". But they lobbied hard to get those pesky laws changed, and now it is at their discretion to pay what they deem your vehicle was worth and not a penny more. Doesn't matter if that leaves you with a lesser car and thousands in debt. That is why you now have to hire a lawyer if you want to made whole again, because the insurance companies aren't going to do it on their own anymore.

wilsonfocus86 06-23-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZfocus2012 (Post 4785959)
It used to be, insurance companies had to "make you whole". But they lobbied hard to get those pesky laws changed, and now it is at their discretion to pay what they deem your vehicle was worth and not a penny more. Doesn't matter if that leaves you with a lesser car and thousands in debt. That is why you now have to hire a lawyer if you want to made whole again, because the insurance companies aren't going to do it on their own anymore.

But you can still deny their offer and make them assess it again. My Boss's truck got totaled. Gave him an offer, and was like uh no. They came back out, offered up I think over a grand more. Needless to say he was satisfied.

Creative 06-23-2013 08:34 PM

Yeah I got checked out becuase I've been involved in a rollover and a 125 mph wreck at njmp so I got looked after by local ambulance and went to hospital later without ambulance for doctors opinion and they said I was fine minus the whiplash. I do have 3 pics of the car and that was the day I picked it up and I have window sticker that I made a copy of for insurance purposes. I went to look at the new st3 in white and found it as a sunroof which I'm not to thrilled about but hey is still on sexy car.

I have an excellent lawyer who is going to get a case opened for future medical bills from the cause of the accident.

The guy who hit me does have insurance but I'm not sure if it's a cheapo policy or a good one.