Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   **synthetic or not? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319032)

pjchops 06-13-2013 09:50 AM

**synthetic or not?

Hi All, I'm new to this forum, I have a 2011 Focus SES that I bought new, I just hit 61,000 miles and I'm thinking of changing to synthetic oil, is there any benefits to this? I've been using conventional oil every 3k miles since new so I'm looking for some feedback, I'm intending on keeping this car as long as I can, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

bones33 06-13-2013 10:46 AM

Do the synth. Dino oil at 3K intervals means you have a very very clean engine and at only 61K means it is likely in great shape.

I'd do full synthetic and change at 6k+ intervals. Do an oil analysis and you would probably find you could go 10K intervals, maybe more before the oil approaches it's wear out point.

don627 06-13-2013 11:38 AM

If you want to extend you oil change intervals then synthetic is the way to go. If you are going to change it at 3-5000 mile intervals then any quality dino oil will do just fine. I personally use the Motorcraft semi syn and change at 5000 miles and my engine is spotless inside after 114000 miles on my '03

Arty 06-13-2013 12:04 PM

I change oil 2 times a year running Amsoil full synthetic. Oil costs 8$ per quart but is good for 12,000 miles. Check Amsoil.com.

pjchops 06-13-2013 12:19 PM

thanks guys, great info, this car runs great and gets 30 mpg regularly, I'm hoping to get many more miles out of it. Thanks again!

calebstubstad 06-13-2013 01:33 PM

synthetic is the way to go, it flows better and is an oil designed for cars. if you were to do this in a beat up engine, the oil would likely find small holes to leak out of since it is thinner, but you are more than likely okay switching. there aren't any real benefits for our smaller non-performance cars, but it can't hurt. you could even switch to 50/50, or any other mix synth/conventional.

elsolo 06-13-2013 07:54 PM

synthetic doesn't leak out because it's thinner, it has a seal swell value of <1 so nitrile and other seals shrink. Conventional oil has just over 1.0 and the "high mileage" oils are a little higher

iminhell 06-13-2013 10:23 PM

No oil should ever be changed by how many miles are on it, and a change schedule should never be determined by what the internet recommends.

There is only 1 correct way to find out how far you can push change intervals safely, Used Oil Analysis. This is where you take a sample of new oil and samples at various times to find out the condition of the oil at that point in time and the condition of the oil. You mail it in and they mail back recommendations.

My gripe with mile ratings is that no one is stating their typical driving style, routes or anything. You don't know if they do 90% stop and go or lots of highway driving. That all makes a big difference.
Basing oil changes on run time hours is more accurate, but not exact. Running hours figures that the oil has seen near the same amount of contaminates. Think hours run vs 30mph average over 3,000 miles (100 hours) vs 60mph average (50 hours). Significant difference there.

Spend the maybe $50 to find out how far you can push oil. In the long run it will save you money if you stick to the schedule.

CriticalMass 06-14-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calebstubstad (Post 4775435)
synthetic is the way to go, it flows better and is an oil designed for cars. if you were to do this in a beat up engine, the oil would likely find small holes to leak out of since it is thinner, but you are more than likely okay switching. there aren't any real benefits for our smaller non-performance cars, but it can't hurt. you could even switch to 50/50, or any other mix synth/conventional.

Yes, there are benefits. It more evenly coats engine components and thus reduces wear. It also remains stable at a molecular level for a much longer period, which also reduces engine wear.

It's designed to make engines last longer and be able to run them harder. It's good for any car engine. not just performance vehicles. :)

amc49 06-15-2013 04:39 AM

The only big difference is that it can take more heat without breaking down. Why you can run it longer and at thinner weights.

I still don't run it. Can't seem to kill the cars even at 9000 mile OCI now. Walmart Supertech regular oil at around $17 changes.