Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Removing active grille shutters (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318236)

xwhit3devilx 06-04-2013 01:44 AM

Removing active grille shutters

So I've been reading a lot of posts around here regard Foci overheating and having weak A/C and it dawned on me that the problem may lie with the grille shutters. A lot of people also seem to think that a problem with the DCT is that the clutches can't handle excess heat well. Has anyone here tried removing the shutters? Besides a dip in fuel economy would it cause any other problems? I can't imagine the car overheating because they were removed, unless that somehow messes with the programming of the other cooling components.

suss6052 06-04-2013 01:48 AM

The shutters appear to still be wide open most of the time in town, as well as when with the a/c on the shutters are supposed to be open for cooling purposes.

If it was really that detrimental why would they fit them?

Although I can say my ST doesn't seem to have nearly as cold an air conditioning as my SEL did even though both had the exact same grille shutter system and more than likely the same condenser.

Elizabeth 06-04-2013 02:18 AM

Removing them seems a bit much.
Before that, try disconnecting them. They are run by the computer, and should have a default open setting.
If you try disconnecting them it will certainly set a code. and it may even send your engine into default 'limp' mode!
Anyway better to find out BEFORE you start ripping them off.

The air conditioning is weak because the car uses a small compressor to boost gas mileage. Nothing to do with grill shutters.

I have read only a few posts about overheating.. Not enough to make me even think about a drastic step like taking out the shutters.

One other way you could resolve you desire is to trim the shutter flap so they can open and close but do nothing because you cut off the flaps on the rods.
That would allow the computer to think they are still there.. Though ??? If the computer will set a code because the shutters do nothing..??

I have not had any issues with either air or overheat.

xwhit3devilx 06-04-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4762782)
The shutters appear to still be wide open most of the time in town, as well as when with the a/c on the shutters are supposed to be open for cooling purposes.

Ah, I was unaware of the fact that they were always open during a/c use, never mind.[goofydrunk] I really just wanted a second opinion, I wasn't really serious about doing this under warranty anyway. It just strikes me as odd that someone would design something to block air from getting to the radiator- which is kind of important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4762861)
The air conditioning is weak because the car uses a small compressor to boost gas mileage. Nothing to do with grill shutters.

Guess I'm just spoiled then, my mid 90's Caddy would give you frostbite if you had the AC on max. Of course on an old luxo-barge, being eco friendly was of least importance. Maybe I'll just get the charge checked to see if something is wrong there.

suss6052 06-04-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4762861)
Removing them seems a bit much.
Before that, try disconnecting them. They are run by the computer, and should have a default open setting.
If you try disconnecting them it will certainly set a code. and it may even send your engine into default 'limp' mode!
Anyway better to find out BEFORE you start ripping them off.

I have read only a few posts about overheating.. Not enough to make me even think about a drastic step like taking out the shutters.

One other way you could resolve you desire is to trim the shutter flap so they can open and close but do nothing because you cut off the flaps on the rods.
That would allow the computer to think they are still there.. Though ??? If the computer will set a code because the shutters do nothing..??

I have not had any issues with either air or overheat.

The a/c compressor isn't that small, although if the system is slightly over or under charged the efficiency drops off. Not sure if it was just because I tinted the windows on the other one, but the a/c on the ST seems weaker than the SEL was, but it should be the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx (Post 4762866)
Ah, I was unaware of the fact that they were always open during a/c use, never mind.[goofydrunk] I really just wanted a second opinion, I wasn't really serious about doing this under warranty anyway. It just strikes me as odd that someone would design something to block air from getting to the radiator- which is kind of important.

Guess I'm just spoiled then, my mid 90's Caddy would give you frostbite if you had the AC on max. Of course on an old luxo-barge, being eco friendly was of least importance. Maybe I'll just get the charge checked to see if something is wrong there.

I haven't been able to watch them while driving, but it does seem like it would have to remain open with the a/c on or the condenser core would freeze and the a/c would no longer work.

The only case for removing the active grille shutters is on the ST if you wanted to fit a larger front mounted intercooler

Some Guy From NY 06-04-2013 06:25 AM

My AC blows very cold. I have never questioned if my AC was "cold enough", because it always is. Sometimes I find myself raising the temp or shutting it off because it cools down the car so much and quickly.

Aric@Injected 06-04-2013 03:15 PM

Why not just remove this function with tuning? Through the ECU?

xwhit3devilx 06-04-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY (Post 4762926)
My AC blows very cold. I have never questioned if my AC was "cold enough", because it always is. Sometimes I find myself raising the temp or shutting it off because it cools down the car so much and quickly.

That is nothing like mine. The ac can barely keep up even when its 75 outside. I know at those temperatures one could just roll the windows down, but the wind in this car is just way too much.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile

slybarman 06-04-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4762872)
I haven't been able to watch them while driving, . . .

LOL. Quit being such a p[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]y - set the cruise control and crawl out on that hood! [whip]

suss6052 06-04-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY (Post 4762926)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx (Post 4763705)
That is nothing like mine. The ac can barely keep up even when its 75 outside. I know at those temperatures one could just roll the windows down, but the wind in this car is just way too much.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile

Mine can get cold sometimes, but it takes a damned long time with the heat soaked into the dash, and occasionally it starts to blow warmer air out of the vents in the ST. I'm less than thrilled with the a/c in this car, but I haven't tinted the windows or used a sun shield yet.

When it's cooler or the dash isn't so hot it seems like the a/c works a lot better, so I'm wondering if the car is over or under charged, or if it's really just the massive solar gain of the non tinted windows and the absorbative black dashboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slybarman (Post 4763708)
LOL. Quit being such a p[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]y - set the cruise control and crawl out on that hood! [whip]

Sure I'll get right on that, although it would be easier and safer to buy a go-pro and mount it to the front of the car pointed looking inwards towards the active grille shutters than it would be to crawl over the hood on a straight stretch of road at 70 mph or so.