Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=317187)

Aerodax 05-22-2013 01:35 PM

Class Action Lawsuit for DCT issues

What would need to be done to get the ball rolling?

Ford's had so many class action suits over the past few years someone must know what needs to be done or someone that was part of the other suits.

rambleon84 05-22-2013 02:07 PM

I doubt you would get much money doing a class action, majority goes to the lawyers. If you are really peeved, try small claims...
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...ets-09333.html

thats what these owners are doing:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/05...liter-v-6.html

PratoN 05-22-2013 02:08 PM

+1 - I don't have any lawyer friends, but maybe my uncle (who is some sort of lawyer?) can refer me to one that can do a class action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambleon84 (Post 4734086)
I doubt you would get much money doing a class action, majority goes to the lawyers. If you are really peeved, try small claims...

Hmm...

garyd9 05-22-2013 02:31 PM

I don't think the purpose of the class action (in this case) is to make a profit. Instead, I suspect the reasoning would be to force Ford to acknowledge the issues, to take them seriously, and to find and implement a resolution for them.

In MANY cases, a large company like FoMoCo can easily ignore (or just blow off) singleton consumers, but when those consumers gather into a group (or class), the combined weight (and threatened penalties) force recognition.

As well, it could get the attention of various government attorney's who would then pursue the same issues from a non-civil standpoint. For example, if its proven that Ford has known about DCT issues but failed to reveal those issues to customers, they would be guilty of violating multiple consumer protection and unfair trade acts in many (most?) US states; guilty of violating various warranty related laws at both the state and federal level, etc. Ford knows this, so if a class is created, I'd be willing that Ford suddenly becomes much more proactive to resolve any issue.

Currently, it APPEARS that ford is willing to try and ignore the issues in hopes that they'll either go away, or that the issue won't reach the courts before warranty limits expire.

Joeywhat 05-22-2013 02:39 PM

You sue foe money, not to get stuff changed. You'll have a significantly more difficult time getting a change versus getting money, and even then you have to show that there was a significant burden on you due to faulty parts, or that there is a significant safety issue.

Just sayin'. You can sue for anything, doesn't mean you'll win.

Noriceplease 05-22-2013 02:42 PM

^+1 The salesman kept trying to get me to buy an automatic because they didn't have a manual on the lot and was very persistent I told him I knew the dct had alot of issues he kept telling me that there are never issues with the dct not that they knew of Atleast. I had to wait a week for mine to come in from Wisconsin I needed that sunroof also

garyd9 05-22-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeywhat (Post 4734134)
You sue foe money, not to get stuff changed. You'll have a significantly more difficult time getting a change versus getting money, and even then you have to show that there was a significant burden on you due to faulty parts, or that there is a significant safety issue.

You are wrong. How many civil lawsuits have you been involved in? A lawyer sues for money. A consumer sues for a remedy (which might involve money, but not always.)

While many seem to associate "sue" with "money", that's NOT the purpose of the courtroom.

Take, for example, the recent class action lawsuit against Apple for the the iPhone4 "antennagate." There was a financial award for the lawyers and one or two parties in the class. However, the actual remedy was Apple being compelled to find a resolution to the problem (which resulted in Apple giving every iphone4 customer a "bumper" case that prevented the problem, or money to cover the cost of a case that prevented the problem.)

There are likely thousands of other (and better) examples. A quick peek at wikipedia mentions a class action used to encourage doctors to report child abuse.

Sure, many do abuse lawsuits for only financial gain, but don't make the short-sighted mistake of thinking that is the only purpose.

Joeywhat 05-22-2013 03:04 PM

Whatever. I don't care, just pointing out the fact that there needs to be a substantial issue for a lawsuit to actually be worthwhile. You won't get a lawyer to bother if there's nothing in it for them.

bassmobile 05-22-2013 03:08 PM

Are there numbers out there documenting the amount of DCT issues in relation to the number of cars on the road? You can't go by this forum because this represents a very tiny fraction of Focus owners.

Tubeway Army 05-22-2013 03:16 PM

If there isn't one brewing someplace, there will be soon. The DCT is an epic fail.

Not sure if Legalzoom will help you get started, but usually there are lawyers who specialize in this. Typically the consumer get's a check for $1.95 and the lawyer get's the $1million.