Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   removing airbox top (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316875)

Tjrommel 05-18-2013 08:46 PM

removing airbox top

sounds kick ass however 0-60 is 9.3 seconds (95% humidity according to the barrometer). Are there any performance gains without removing the snorkels?

dyn085 05-18-2013 09:32 PM

The short answer is no. The only benefit you'll get by running with the lid off is a warmer intake charge. At the very least you'll need to replace your filter with an aftermarket drop-in.

Elizabeth 05-18-2013 09:33 PM

I tried removing the airbox top for one ride. then put it back on.
First off that crazy throbbing howl you get at some RPM is going to soon destroy your MAF.
So that was my primary reason to stick the lid back on fast.
The resonance you hear really is a very powerful wave banging around in your intake.
Good luck if you plan on leaving it off. LOL. [mecry]

Tjrommel 05-18-2013 09:34 PM

ahh, thanks. I suppose I shall go play around with the snorkel, pocket knife and needle nose pliers should get the clips out correct?

Tjrommel 05-18-2013 09:36 PM

yea, I was wondering why it sounded so painful when cruising in low rps and having that low pitched oscillation. I'll definitely replace it.

dyn085 05-18-2013 09:51 PM

Honestly, for budget gains you should remove your snorkel and replace your filter with an aftermarket drop-in. For <$50 you get the majority of the power afforded by the more expensive systems and you don't sacrifice power down low to get it. For a little sound, remove your resonator and seal the opening with a piece of metal and some silicone. Its nothing like the lid off...

Cruisin 05-19-2013 07:33 PM

I did did four things, then undid two of them
1. K&N drop in filter
2. Removed the lid
3. Newmission Mod
4. Snorkel delete.

Numbers 2 and 4.

Reinstalled lid--gained mpg and lost annoying sound.
Reinstalled snorkel--gained mpg and lost remainder of annoying sound.

dyn085 05-19-2013 07:39 PM

It's interesting that you would think that the snorkel has any affect on your sound if you're running the Newmission mod...

Cruisin 05-20-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyn085 (Post 4730631)
It's interesting that you would think that the snorkel has any affect on your sound if you're running the Newmission mod...

I used a smaller diameter coolant hose than Newmission used. My goal was to provide sufficient air to the box without excess. Newmission created a ram-air intake with openings at the front of his car to force air at speed into his engine.

I ran my hose to the front of the radiator and did not open the nose of the car by drilling any holes. My goal was to provide sufficient air supply, because the factory design creates a vacuum in the air box when the engine is under load. (Hence the small vacuum bottle underneath.) The throttle body's cross sectional area only allows for so much air to enter the engine. Having a bunch of excessive openings for my approach doesn't help at all. And I have my doubts as to the efficacy of a ram air intake which includes the factory non ram air inlets.

dyn085 05-20-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin (Post 4731974)
I used a smaller diameter coolant hose than Newmission used. My goal was to provide sufficient air to the box without excess. Newmission created a ram-air intake with openings at the front of his car to force air at speed into his engine.

I ran my hose to the front of the radiator and did not open the nose of the car by drilling any holes. My goal was to provide sufficient air supply, because the factory design creates a vacuum in the air box when the engine is under load. (Hence the small vacuum bottle underneath.) The throttle body's cross sectional area only allows for so much air to enter the engine. Having a bunch of excessive openings for my approach doesn't help at all. And I have my doubts as to the efficacy of a ram air intake which includes the factory non ram air inlets.

I understand the Newmission mod and the comparison to the snorkel-delete; I've dyno-tested both. I even created a fiberglass scoop and used aircraft ducting (the radiator hose is better, imho). I actually have my Newmission'ed box for sale in the BST area, which led to some pictures and discussion of my scoop.

The 'vacuum bottle' is the OEM resonator. It is designed to act as a shock absorber for the air box. It absorbs the excess energy in air pulsations to reduce resonance, which is noticed with its removal. If you were trying to remove 'annoying sound', then reinstalling it should have been the first step.

What I was alluding to in my other post is that the snorkel has no bearing on NVH. It does, however, restrict air flowing into the runners. The purpose of it's removal is not to make it a 'ram air' intake; it is removed for the sake of allowing the air an easier, unrestricted path into the runners. If you were wanting to turn it into a 'ram air' setup, you would have to fabricate a scoop that was a larger diameter than the opening in the radiator support for the runners.

Your mention of the throttle body is correct to a small degree, but make sure that you pay attention to the fact that your MAF sensor is significantly larger. Do some research into Bernoulli's Principle for a better understanding of why. That should give you a little better understanding.

You are on the correct path for testing, and I'm glad that what you have is working for you. Different peoples' commutes result in different numbers in reference to MPG's and mods. I did as much dyno work as I could to prove/disprove the 'cheap' mods, but unfortunately power numbers do not have a direct relation to mileage. What works for some based on their circumstances doesn't work for others. The only thing that's practically guaranteed on everyone's car when it comes to cheap mods is the snorkel delete/drop-in filter.