Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Trading in SE 13 HB for ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316218)

kryptonitejesus 05-10-2013 12:13 PM

Trading in SE 13 HB for ST

Had nothing but issues with the DCT and jerky trans and rollback on incline. Am I crazy for wanting to trade in a 6000 mile 13 SE for a new ST? Still owe 20 large too :( just not happy with this one. Gonna test drive the STs out again Sunday.

Anyone else do something similar to this?

SkyPilot 05-10-2013 12:31 PM

prepare to take a bath and lose a lot of money.

kryptonitejesus 05-10-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyPilot (Post 4720485)
prepare to take a bath and lose a lot of money.

I know! I'm just tired of nearly stalling out in an automatic... Wish the dealer would have fully disclosed the DCT, didn't notice it all during the test drive.

I just figure I'd be better off getting rid of it sooner than later as I'm sure in the next few months the 14 SE will be unrolling and I'm sure mine will depreciate even more then...

Willing to take that loss though, car is just so... Eh.

kryptonitejesus 05-10-2013 12:44 PM

But I think I got like 5 or 5.5% APR on that SE gonna try like hell to find a better rate

amoosenamedhank 05-10-2013 12:45 PM

It always comes down to whether or not you're willing to either pay off your negative equity or roll it into the next car.

If that increase in payment (or decrease in available cash) is worth it to you... then do it.

SkyPilot 05-10-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptonitejesus (Post 4720494)
But I think I got like 5 or 5.5% APR on that SE gonna try like hell to find a better rate

OUCH! whats your credit like, most buyers have been getting around 2.5% I got 2.29% Check with a local credit union, if you have decent credit you should be able to get below 3%

suss6052 05-10-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptonitejesus (Post 4720444)
Had nothing but issues with the DCT and jerky trans and rollback on incline. Am I crazy for wanting to trade in a 6000 mile 13 SE for a new ST? Still owe 20 large too :( just not happy with this one. Gonna test drive the STs out again Sunday.

Anyone else do something similar to this?

Yeah that's pretty crazy alright, now if you were to trade for another SE but a 5MT there were pretty good rebates which could help to erase some of the negative equity of the trade, however there is next to no incentives available on the ST, and your SE even with this low a mileage is probably not going to bring close to what you say you still owe.

There is up to $3250 or so in incentives available currently on the Focus SE 5 door with the 5MT at least in the metro detroit area, vs maybe just the $500 bonus cash for the manual in the ST.

There is no current publically available way of appraising the estimated trade in value of the current model year Focus, however chances are it won't fair much better than last year's model. So even with low mileage you'd maybe see 10-15 as a trade in offer, which is not going to be enough to buy you out of the old car first, so your new loan would have to be large enough to cover this plus the new car's costs or you would need to come up with the difference in cash in order to be able to do this.

Unless you are flush with cash and want to pay down the amount you owe to being less than what you'd see on a trade you're going to have a difficult time getting another nearly 50% financed on top of what you already owe. (Take that 20k and make it maybe 30+k in the hole after the end, the ST is ~25k for the base model if you can find one, plus the value you'd lose on the trade.

It is your call, but I'd recommend avoiding making it at this stage as it doesn't sound like it would make good fiscal sense.

Flybigrc 05-10-2013 02:33 PM

Try PenFed.com Pentegon Federal Credit Union they have 1.79% right now. I got 1.49% the beginning of the year, they are easy to work with.

mishka 05-10-2013 09:09 PM

yea suss makes a good point. if you really can't stand the dct then trade in for a manual - no need to upgrade to ST.
also... have you tried taking your car into the dealership? It might just need an update and/or quick fix... I had a little bit of issues but the trans is fixed and computer updated and the car is great now! It's under warranty so just go take it into the dealership and get it fixed before you make such a big decision. A lot of the problems are solved by simple computer update.

hope this helps

Kabigon 05-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Had nothing but issues with the DCT and jerky trans and rollback on incline. Am I crazy for wanting to trade in a 6000 mile 13 SE for a new ST? Still owe 20 large too

From a financial point of view, that would clearly be a STupid thing to do.

Quote:

Gonna test drive the STs out again Sunday.

That may not be a good idea. Going to a dealer and test driving a car causes some people to make STupid irrational decisions.