Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   WD40 on your tires (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315927)

RonMaiden 05-06-2013 01:39 PM

WD40 on your tires

Instead of using pricey tires shines I was thinking of going old school and using WD40 on my tires and see if it lasts just as long as the tire shine stuff. I currently use Meguire's Endurance gel and it last several weeks including driving in the wet.

Anybody here use WD40? Results?

Brabs_Weather 05-06-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMaiden (Post 4715381)
Instead of using pricey tires shines I was thinking of going old school and using WD40 on my tires and see if it lasts just as long as the tire shine stuff. I currently use Meguire's Endurance gel and it last several weeks including driving in the wet.

Anybody here use WD40? Results?

i used Pledge years ago because of the anti-static dust properties. I would think WD40 would cause tires to crack over time. plus i also think it would attracted more dirt.

Joeywhat 05-06-2013 02:06 PM

Mineral spirits and rubber aren't exactly best friends...while limited contact probably won't cause issues I wouldn't chance it with it being left on there. It's probably fine, but I'd rather use something I know is safe.

Elizabeth 05-06-2013 04:16 PM

You really do not want to use a product which might interact chemically with the rubber in the tire. i would stay away from WD40 for Tires.

The main thing with any of the tire shine products is keeping it far far away from the disc brakes.
Get any tire shine ON the rotor and your have permanently damaged your braking abiltiy.

mac.mogul 05-06-2013 04:35 PM

Use soap and water and be done with it.

RonMaiden 05-06-2013 05:20 PM

I figured but what was funny it was advice from Chip Foose I saw on youtube. I've bene around the block a time or two maybe three and I knew about it's multiple uses but I've always just stuck with stuff that made for tires. Just wanted some opinions and really I'll just stick with the Meguire's stuff.

RonMaiden 05-06-2013 05:22 PM

I use the gel stuff on my car tires and apply it by hand but with my truck tires I have protruding lugs on the sides and have to use a spray but it's easy to avoid the discs than with the low pro Focus tires.

Cruisin 05-06-2013 06:23 PM

Liquid floor wax--apply with rag, throw rag away. Does not attract dirt like oils do.

sailor 05-07-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac.mogul (Post 4715643)
Use soap and water and be done with it.

Agreed!

I've seen some tires that were almost WHITE after someone stopped using "armor-all" type products.

This proves to me that the rubber drying effect warned about by Tire Reps. is real with at least some of these products.

Unless there is something new that's actually recommended by a tire manufacturer, I'd avoid using any "shine" product on tires.

Good results on sun damaged vinyl/plastic to improve appearance, but that's different than a functional rubber item.

Chip's trick is likely fine for an occasional show, but you'd want to wash them off afterwards.

Cheers!

cbdallas 05-07-2013 09:29 AM

I've never had a bad effect after many years of using various foams & sprays. I gave up trying to use gels & other wipe-on products, as the outer-most tread blocks don't end up looking very good. My latest favorite is Black Magic aerosol tire spray (not foam).

After washing but not re-applying on any of my vehicles, my tires are a nice flat-black color, so I'm not sure what would cause tires to turn white. Pehaps that was a product-specific side effect.

I wouldn't use anything like WD-40. it can't be very good for rubber, and speaking for myself...I don't want a lubricant slung all inside my wheels wells and down the side of my car.