Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Is plasti dip good on door handles and such? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315494)

FreeFocus 04-30-2013 07:11 PM

Is plasti dip good on door handles and such?

So I have been digging around the forum and have come across plasti dip. I have looked into it and have gotten mixed reviews. Some people say it works miracles and others not so much. What's your take on it?
I have an 02 focus se and the door handles and mirror mounts are starting to fade on it. Would plasti dip do the job or do I need something else? How about how many coats and things like that.
Gotta keep it looking good. thanks

sam fisher 04-30-2013 07:17 PM

Definitely wouldn't use it on the door handles , but anything you dont touch on a daily basis should be fine

Sent from my LG-LG730 using FF Mobile

FreeFocus 04-30-2013 07:19 PM

So it wouldn't matter how many coats I put on it, thick or thin? What would be good for the door handles. If I were to go that route

CotyM 04-30-2013 07:20 PM

Plasti Dip is good, but it isn't permanent, it is meant to be fully reversible. You only need to do one coat with it... They do make stuff called plastic restorer designed to restore black faded plastic, I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it...

FreeFocus 04-30-2013 07:24 PM

yeah I wanted something that I could take off in case I didn't like it. Thought about getting creative with it since i can take it off. I will look into the restorer. Thanks

CotyM 04-30-2013 07:46 PM

Well if you want to play around, plasti dip is great. Most of the time when people say

"Gotta keep it looking good."

What they are really saying is.

"I want it to look stock and professional"

I greatly encourage pure creativity, even if others think it looks dumb [cool]

FreeFocus 04-30-2013 08:37 PM

Yeah i see what you are saying. Will probably black out the badges when i get around to it. Creativity is what makes yours, yours. You know what I mean.

To anyone, opinions and points of view are priceless. let me know what you think about it. Any past experiences with plasti dip

rambleon84 05-01-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeFocus (Post 4707637)
Yeah i see what you are saying. Will probably black out the badges when i get around to it. Creativity is what makes yours, yours. You know what I mean.

To anyone, opinions and points of view are priceless. let me know what you think about it. Any past experiences with plasti dip

Well I doubt you would be able to get full plasti-dip coverage if you left the door handles on the car while spraying. Ever thought about taking the handles off and painting them to match your car?

FreeFocus 05-01-2013 12:36 PM

Well my car is a metallically red, as you can see in my profile picture. With the black tinted windows, its a good compliment. Taking them off could work, never hurts to try. Are the door handles easy to take off and put back on or do I have to take the inside of the door off?

DoctorJ 05-03-2013 11:22 PM

Handles

Nice to see another person from Indiana on here.

I've taken my handles off a few times to paint, and replace the handles. To me, they were a pain in the butt, but not really that hard to do. I think my patience was wearing thin by the time i put them on.

I have power windows and locks on mine, and there wasn't a ton of room within the door cavity to get my hand up in there like i wanted to.

I ended up having someone help me with it for like 2 minutes to get everything lined up and back together.

You can remove them and paint with trim/bumper paint to return to the factory black look. You could also lightly sand them, primer and paint them to match the factory color. I've also seen some "paint pens" that are the trim black in color which would allow you to do the part on the car without removing it. Just be sure to mask off the area around it.