Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   getrag shims (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315462)

SvviftSVT 04-30-2013 01:44 PM

getrag shims

Hey guys (gals)
I need some help locating shims for the Getrag.
I will be trying my hand at installing the Torsen t-2 in my SVT this weekend, but cannot find shims anywhere.
Does anybody know what dimensions (diameter or whatever) that I need? or if shims for another vehicle can work.
I am aware that I need .006-.010" more than the shim currently in my car.
I am just wanting to have everything I need so I can try to do it in one go.

I am aware that I can go into a transmission shop and ask them, but I am trying to get all the correct information before I make that step to ensure I get the right ones...

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED...

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

PumkinSvt 04-30-2013 01:45 PM

Have you checked out CFM I am sure they have them.

SvviftSVT 04-30-2013 01:49 PM

as far as whats listed.. the only shim they have is the "rear shock mount shim"

I know Bat Inc has a shim kit for like 70 bucks.. if possible, I would like to find them locally to save time.

FordManSVT 05-01-2013 09:23 AM

How are you aware that you need a thicker shim if you haven't taken the trans apart and measured the bearing race clearance? I put a Torsen in my Svt and the stock shim put my in the correct bearing preload range. There are other people on here that have done the same. As far as finding a shim you will most likely have to go to a trans shop and look through what they have laying around. I was going to cut shims for a rear diff to fit if I had to use a different thickness.

SvviftSVT 05-01-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordManSVT (Post 4708344)
How are you aware that you need a thicker shim if you haven't taken the trans apart and measured the bearing race clearance? I put a Torsen in my Svt and the stock shim put my in the correct bearing preload range. There are other people on here that have done the same. As far as finding a shim you will most likely have to go to a trans shop and look through what they have laying around. I was going to cut shims for a rear diff to fit if I had to use a different thickness.

Every how-to I have read stated that you wanted to preload the output shaft by .006-.010...

I was more wanting it as a safeguard so I could complete the install without any delays. Its already been over a month of not driving my SVT..

Hopefully, I am lucky like you and my stock shim works out.

qweesy 05-01-2013 10:26 AM

so are you for sure doing it this weekend?

SvviftSVT 05-01-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qweesy (Post 4708447)
so are you for sure doing it this weekend?

i am at least dropping it. and starting disassembly.
still working on getting the engine hoist (to relieve pressure on mounts and support the engine)
also a workbench and a shop press.

going to try to get the diff bearing on today. tomorrow, and/or Friday.

qweesy 05-01-2013 10:41 AM

txt me your addy i would like to view this being i will eventually putting in the quaife in mine do you plan on working through the night on Friday, I know I work right next to where you live off 249 & Louetta

SvviftSVT 05-01-2013 10:45 AM

i will text you the addy...
and honestly, Friday night is date night with the lady. i am off during the day so i was going to get as much done as possible during the day.
taking her to a steakhouse then a movie...
been a while since we had a day to ourselves.

FordManSVT 05-01-2013 10:55 AM

You do want to preload the diff bearing but they are preloaded from the factory. Most time putting new bearings in doesn't make a lot if difference because it is the same spec bearing and race as you took out. That's why the stock shim usually works. You can get away without a shop press if you have race drivers and a hammer( swing press). I would get the factor red sealant for the case halfs. That stuff works best.