Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   FRPP Kit best fit and Sway combo (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315227)

Albrtd3 04-27-2013 11:12 AM

FRPP Kit best fit and Sway combo
 
Hi guys, I have a 2008 SE Focus it's my DD. I drive a bit spirited and have quite a bit of funds to drop into it, I'm looking for great handling, not so much comfort. Also, I'm not too big on lowering the car so while I will do it for performance sake, I'm not crazy about it.

So I was wondering what you guys recommend, I hear great things on the FRPP, I've no idea where to purchase it though. Is this what I'm looking for?
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9601

Also, I was looking to pop some sway bars on the vehicle. I have a Steeda CAI and am happy with the quality so I'm looking at the Steeda Sway Bar:
http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/200...-rear-swaybar/
And maybe this for the front:
http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/2...n00002221.html

What say you?

felixthecat 04-27-2013 11:49 AM

Your looking for great handling, but not to lower your car, OK. Never heard that before. WOW, here goes, you can replace your struts/shocks w/ some new ones & add Eibach's sway bar kit= 22mm/25mm bars. Ever stiffer springs are going to lower your car. So if you don't want to lower your car & use the oem springs & just replace the dampers, & add a set of bigger sway bars. Your limited on dampers w/ using oem springs & having a '06+ car. It'd be great to say add a set of Koni yellow dampers, but they don't offer them on the '06+ cars. You could get them to work using Massive performance, ''Omni kit'', then you'd need '00-'05 springs Which you could use stock springs for the earlier cars. So the least exspensive way is replace your dampers w/ a desent set & eibach's sway bar set. All not to lower the car. I hope I answered your question.

RPMisChris 04-27-2013 12:10 PM

I would just buy the complete eibach kit that has the springs, struts/shocks, and the sways. Or go coilovers. They can be had for around $800 if you look hard enough and trust me they offer a much better ride. Also, the front sway bar is a pia to install.

Albrtd3 04-27-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4702470)
Your looking for great handling, but not to lower your car, OK. Never heard that before.

Just never really been crazy about it, I have a lot of speed bumps where I live, I park on a steep driveway, and while I know I'm going to feel the bumps alot more with any upgraded suspension I don't want to be scraping every day. Fair enough?
That being said, you really took it to heart and you answered my question above and beyond. Thank you! That's some good info, I was kind of curious as to how crazy it would be to try to prevent too much lowering. Really appreciated.
What do you think of the FRPP kit (leaving the slight lowering out of mine)?
Thanks for the recommendation on the Eibach's sway bar kit also, I was looking at that so I could get both front and rear together. Good to know they're recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPMisChris (Post 4702491)
I would just buy the complete eibach kit that has the springs, struts/shocks, and the sways. Or go coilovers. They can be had for around $800 if you look hard enough and trust me they offer a much better ride. Also, the front sway bar is a pia to install.

I'll give that a look. Do you recommend any places to order the kit from? As well, what does this have over the FRPP kit in your opinion?
I've never installed a front sway bar, so I can only guess, but if it's doable, I'll wrestle the sucker in but thanks for the headsup. Any tips for install?

RPMisChris 04-27-2013 01:12 PM

hmm didnt realize that you had an 08. A good start would be to look at our sponsors. Here is a link that might help http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...8&autoModClar=

You could pair the Eibach prokit with the kyb shocks/struts.
That combo would be around 450. However if you can spring (pun) for it I would go coilovers. You will get much better ride quality than any spring/shock/strut setup. I will let you look up the benefits of coilovers yourself.

I had the frpp kit for years and recently upgraded to coilovers. The difference is absolutely ridiculous. If you have the money go coilovers. You will save yourself money in the long run!

Albrtd3 04-27-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPMisChris (Post 4702554)
hmm didnt realize that you had an 08. A good start would be to look at our sponsors. Here is a link that might help http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...8&autoModClar=

You could pair the Eibach prokit with the kyb shocks/struts.
That combo would be around 450. However if you can spring (pun) for it I would go coilovers. You will get much better ride quality than any spring/shock/strut setup. I will let you look up the benefits of coilovers yourself.

I had the frpp kit for years and recently upgraded to coilovers. The difference is absolutely ridiculous. If you have the money go coilovers. You will save yourself money in the long run!

You know what, before I found out about the FFRP Kit I was leaning towards coilovers. I've read about how much better handling is that they provide, that and they just look ridiculously sexy, but that could be just me. [:I]

[s] I was a bit shy-ed away from the amount of drop I'll experience from them, but hell, it seems like unless I go the route Felix suggested (thanks again for the plethora of info, you know your stuff), I'll have to drop anyways. Might as well go quality.[/s]

Update Why do you recommend the Eibach/KYB combo as opposed to FRPP?

RPMisChris 04-27-2013 01:51 PM

I did a quick search and only found D2's and H&R's for the 08. I will let someone else chime in but I personally would go with H&R's if you only have a choice between the two.

Albrtd3 04-27-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPMisChris (Post 4702581)
I did a quick search and only found D2's and H&R's for the 08. I will let someone else chime in but I personally would go with H&R's if you only have a choice between the two.

I saw those on the link you posted. I may just go for that Eibach/KYB combo you recommended. But just curious, why this combo over the FRPP?

RPMisChris 04-27-2013 02:12 PM

The D2's will be in the $800-900 and the H&R's will be $900-1100. Alot of people like the frpp setup and a lot of people hate it but really... for $400-500 more you could have something that you will be happy with now and in the future. Say you want to adjust dampening or lower/raise your focus.. cant do that without coilovers. Well, you could cut the springs but that is just dumb. In the end the choice is yours but YOU will be much happier with coilovers!

zetecDon 04-27-2013 10:24 PM

Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension".


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp