Rally Racer needs 2.3L / 2.5L Help
Hey crew - i dont post that often but this one is a bit challenging, and thought you ninjas here would know the answer. I ran the Empire State Performance Rally this weekend in Monticello - and while my other two team members both have boost on thier Foci - i want to stay all motor - the car ran great, decent stage times - one huge penalty for a broken shift linkage/being late to stage, but i want a bit more power....how much more......well......
I run a 2002 SVT with a 2004 2.3L Duratec and MTX75 in my Rally Car
I have a custom built wire harness with circuit breakers to make tracing electric issues a ton easier....spent like $4k having it wired up
Now, i want to drop in a 2.5L i4 for a number of reasons......however
WILL THE 2.3L TOP END mate up with a 2.5L bottom end???????
What will i loose in power / tq with this config?
What are the GOTCHAS waiting for me?
I will take any and all advice, suggestions, or dude, you are NUTS comments ;)
Hmmmm ... where have I seen that car before ??? LOL
Use the 2.5 head , I can send you some "In the works" 2.5 Dynos
Found the ScT in the glove compartment - still running your tune
if i use the 2.5 head - new ECU, Instrument cluster needed??
Wouldnt need a new ECU or instrument cluster to run the 2.5 head
I believe that all the 2.5s have VCT which I don't think the Focus ECU can handle. Maybe Tom has either a mechanical or tuning solution for that, but when I researched this swap 10 months ago, there was no readily available solution to that problem.
The stock 2.0 doesn't have VCT and the 2.5 has VCT. All we need to do was leave the VCT solenoid unplugged and the engine is running perfectly.
I did some tests with the VCT solenoid and it works with a 12v input. If you send 12v to the solenoid, it opens and leaves the oil to flow to the variable cam gear.
The car has a LOT of torque. The engine is entire stock, cams, header, intake all stock, it revs good up to 6k rpm. I'm wondering this thing with a Cosworth IM, FS/OBX header and a set of Crane 2...
This is VERY helpful
seems like the only two things that need to be focused on are
1. the VCT / both the oil chase and the solenoid (do you unplug solenoid / block oil chace) or let her flow and unplug solenoid, or just run vct manually?
2. Bell housing - everything i read - if that bell housing / starter position match up = mtx75 and all the goodies there are good to go
I am going to pull the trigger and get the motor in, and will kick off a
FOCUS 2.3L to 2.5L SWAP THREAD from square one on...
If all you need is 12v to trigger the VCT, then just get yourself a relay and an RPM switch. That way you can activate it whenever you want.
Excited to see this move forward. I think the 2.5 will be a good swap for years to come. Bigger is better.
If this isnt hooked up properly or a VCT Elim then he is loosing some TQ and HP
OK - going for it !!!!!
Ok, thanks to the ninjas on this forum - i am going for it. Here is what we are doing.
1. I have a 2002 Focus SVT Rally car - that started life as a production class vehicle in Rally America, USRC, and NASA
2. We then did a Zetec (out) for a 2.3L Duratec (IN) swap - the car is now Open 2wd Heavy and Group 2 depending on the sanctioning body. Runs the MTX75 Tranny. She runs great, is "competitive", but is not fast and requires a LOT of rev management to stay in the power band, and torque is really not there to dig out of corners on either tarmac, track, or gravel (insert also ice/now) stages.
3. I just bought a 2.5L Duratec i4 out of a 2010 Ford Fusion !!!!!
Let the Build begin......will be documenting each step on this thread for others to follow - including all HIGH FIVES, and OH SHIT moments....enjoy.
The Car with 2.3L Duratec
The Engine Bay with current 2.3L Duratec Setup
The Bell Housing w MTX75
The Dash Cluster w Custom Wire Harness Circuit Breakers
The Car on Stage moving right along ;)
The new (pulled) 2.5L I4 Duratec from a 2010 Fusion Arrives
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.|