Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Low angle windshield and rainex disasterous (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314920)

aernan 04-23-2013 11:53 AM

Low angle windshield and rainex disasterous

When I bought my car the dealership put some kinda of coating on the car so I would not need to wax it for a year. I'm assuming it was something like tropic shield. Later my GF washed the car and then put rainex on the windshield. I now have horrible fogging and streaks from the wipers. I thought she just didn't polish it enough so I tried again.

Does anyone know how to get that stuff back off the windshield?

Deftmetal 04-23-2013 12:17 PM

Grease and wax remover would probably work

Elizabeth 04-23-2013 12:22 PM

You have the Rain X OVER the top of some other product (or road film).
That is why it fogs up.
Way to fix it is apply way MORE Rain X. to actually cut through the grease below it and make the Rain X bond to the glass.
Once the Rain X is the only stuff on the windshield, it will stop fogging up.

For some reason RainX fogs up or leaves that wierd film (When raining) only when it is applied OVER something else on the glass.
Once you reapply the Rain X (liberally too, you need to wash away the other product) it will stop causing the fogging.

the fogging occured on my last car, as i had never used the rainX until I owned it for a few years.
And I got the fogging from Hell too.(due to road film/grease on the glass)
The solution was to reapply the RainX a few time in a row, over a few days.
Once the gunk stuck under the Rain X was gone, the Rain X never fogged up again, never.

So you can hate it, or go with it. the fogging is an issue of incomplete application. Not a generic issue with RainX.

I absolutely LOVE Rain X, so I am biased. It works wonderfully, and I would never be without it.
I have read the problem with fogging and new users many times, I know it is a P.I.T.A. to have the fogging up.

RonMaiden 04-23-2013 12:28 PM

That coating stuff is garbage and I still would recommend a very good wash,claybar and wax job since there's still contaminants on your paint from traveling from the factory to the dealer. Rail dust is a biggie.

aernan 04-23-2013 12:30 PM

ok I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. I really like the product too. I have it on my Range Rover. The windshield is almost vertical so at freeway speeds I don't even need to use my wipers. I think the low angle of the focus makes you look through more glass and dirt and imperfections are more visible.

Also when applying rainex on my other vehicles I noticed that if I cleaned the windshield before applying it I didn't get the bet results but if it was a little bit dirty is seemed be easier to see where you had applied it.

aernan 04-23-2013 12:33 PM

can you claybar a windshield?

RonMaiden 04-23-2013 01:20 PM

Yes you can since it will remove whatever is on there just like your paint. I do use Rain-X on all my cars (side and back windows too) and one other effect it has for those who deal with icy windshields is your wipers won't freeze as hard to the glass with Rain-x.

SESRob 04-23-2013 01:23 PM

Rainx makes a cleaning/removal paste you can buy. This does an excellent job of both cleaning you windshield and removing contaminants. Does require some elbow grease though.[wave]

mac.mogul 04-23-2013 01:24 PM

I would recommend using a weak dish-soap solution on the windshield to get it 100% clean and then using rainx.

Be sure to apply rainx indoors when the glass is cool to the touch.

rambleon84 04-23-2013 01:25 PM

Also, don't use rain-x on interior windows (especially if they are tinted)

I cant say I've had rain-x fog up on the outside of my windows, so hopefuly a good cleaning and reapplication wiill fix it up (I've had success with the stuff on bathroom mirror glass to prevent fogging lol.) I know some folks arent a fan of it but makes worlds of a difference in my book. I use it on all of the exterior glass.