Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   CLUTCH. The time has come. Choices. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314896)

darossi3 04-22-2013 11:19 PM

CLUTCH. The time has come. Choices.

Hey guys. So during some spirited driving i blew my OEM clutch @ 120k.

I plan on a little forced induction in the future, probably more distant than i may think, and have absolutely no experience with clutches other than the fact that ive driven this particular clutch for the last 7 years... so i would like some advice on a good quality clutch than can handle a good 250HP/TQ that i can daily drive. I drive my car very aggressively every day so i need quality.

Ive been looking at exedy stage 2... but if im being honest i really have no clue whats good.

Also possibly throwing in a flywheel.. advice on good choices for those would be appreciated also.

sleepyboy 04-22-2013 11:22 PM

I'm not sure if it can hold the power but I'm pretty sure it can, but I highly recommend the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. I have way over 100k mi on mine with 100's of drag strip runs on it and it still grabs like no other. When I replaced the trans the last time my mechanic at the time couldn't believe the amount of clutch that was left being that he knows how I drive.

darossi3 04-22-2013 11:27 PM

thanks ill check it out.. how much does one usually run?

sleepyboy 04-22-2013 11:30 PM

Usually about 20 bucks more than a stock replacement one or about 200 bucks (what I paid for years ago). Shop around I'm sure you can find one cheap. I have mine paired to the stock flywheel but it will also work with the Findanza flywheel, which I have one sitting on the shelf in my garage I bought 2-3 yrs ago when I though the clutch was finally going out. Turned out it was just my clutch master cylinder, the clutch is still going strong.

darossi3 04-22-2013 11:40 PM

haha well i went to hit 3rd(been giving me problems recently) and it wouldnt go so i slammed it in at 7k and next thing i know my clutch pedal feels funny and then burning smell loose pedal and no gears... lol my clutch is GONE. I just hope i didnt damage any gears... im surprised this oem clutch lasted this long

darossi3 04-22-2013 11:42 PM

its been slipping a bit in 5th, grinding, shuddering for about 20k now... least she went out a blaze haha..

sleepyboy 04-22-2013 11:53 PM

Well you still got a decent life out of it. We've had some members go beyond 200k mi with the stock clutch before. Have you checked and made sure it isn't your clutch master cylinder that went out? It's on the clutch pedal and you can look to see if it's leaking or anything like that. Mine didn't leak but it got worn out.

darossi3 04-22-2013 11:56 PM

I dont think so. I smelled the burning clutch. It was very distinct. There wasnt any leaks or wetness that i noticed..

sleepyboy 04-23-2013 12:49 AM

Burning smell is a good sign that the clutch is....well you know lol

freemind 04-23-2013 01:10 PM

I have the Centerforce as well.

It is a damn good clutch.

Centerforce claims it is only good for 240 at the wheels.