Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Do i need seat brackets (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314810)

jugglethese 04-22-2013 11:53 AM

Do i need seat brackets

i came across what i think is a good deal. i might be a knock off sparco seat. he wants 300$ for 2 seats. is there a way to mount them to my stock seat brackets? seat brackets are very expensive, unless someone knows of somewhere i can get them cheaper than 150$ each. he selling them with honda civic seat brackets but i doubt that it will fit on the focus?

Buickboy 04-22-2013 01:50 PM

corbeau sells some nice brackets that are a perfect fit for 99/each. or weld up your own if you can

youll also need to do something about the airbag sensors (if you have side airbags) and the pressure bladder in the passenger seat

finally, I dont know if Id trust a knockoff seat in an accident.

sailor 04-22-2013 01:54 PM

How are your fabrication skills?

Have a friend who can cut & weld?

It's likely that the Honda brackets COULD be modified to fit, just remember that it can't be a "half bleeped" job, since your proverbial "butt" depends on it!

One Yo Yo hitting you in the back & YOU end up in the back seat if the brackets don't hold, so it's something that has to be done right...

NOT to deter you, it's probably worth the effort to get seats you like!

Cheers!

jugglethese 04-22-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buickboy (Post 4694783)
corbeau sells some nice brackets that are a perfect fit for 99/each. or weld up your own if you can

youll also need to do something about the airbag sensors (if you have side airbags) and the pressure bladder in the passenger seat

finally, I dont know if Id trust a knockoff seat in an accident.

all i got to do is cut the wires from the bladder? my driver seat is broken, its got a lean to the right pretty bad. so it would probably break even if i got hit.

jugglethese 04-22-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 4694788)
How are your fabrication skills?

Have a friend who can cut & weld?

It's likely that the Honda brackets COULD be modified to fit, just remember that it can't be a "half bleeped" job, since your proverbial "butt" depends on it!

One Yo Yo hitting you in the back & YOU end up in the back seat if the brackets don't hold, so it's something that has to be done right...

NOT to deter you, it's probably worth the effort to get seats you like!

Cheers!

there pretty nice for the price. ive been looking online for seats and in local shops and there all alot more expensive than this. i dont have alot of money to spend.
Im pretty handy when it comes to modifying things but this is a lot different than just welding something. this has to save my life haha

sailor 04-22-2013 06:49 PM

Options:

1. Seller near by - go measure the brackets, even make your own cardboard template to help.

2. Far away - see if the seller can measure widths, lengths, and drops so you can check how close it is to fitting

Either way, if 2 or more bolt right up & others need a spacer for example, might not be too bad.

3. At the price, you're close to getting one of the cheaper Corbeau's for example (driver only), and that would take care of your bad seat plus get you closer to the pair you want some day...

4. least attractive right now, junkyard a replacement for the damaged seat & keep looking. If these won't fit easy, or will break the bank getting it done...

Luck!

sleepyboy 04-22-2013 07:15 PM

Moved to the MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades area

I'd stay away from knock off seats. I've had a set that didn't last long at all. There is a reason why good seats are expensive. Save your money and get something that will last and be worth it. As for seat brackets it took me a long time to find a set that wasn't outrageously.priced. I ended up finding a set of custom made seat brackets. I had them for sale a long time ago but no one wanted to buy them. Don't try to rig up the seats to fit, in the event of a crash it can and will break the mounts causing you to fly all over the cabin or even out the window.

Buickboy 04-22-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jugglethese (Post 4694944)
all i got to do is cut the wires from the bladder? my driver seat is broken, its got a lean to the right pretty bad. so it would probably break even if i got hit.

youll need some sort of resistor wired in to trick the system into thinking the bladder is being sat on. downside is the airbag is always "on" in a crash

otherwise ive heard of people transplanting that bladder into an aftermarket seat. without one of those two youll have an airbag light which means they may or may not go off in a crash. not something id want to test

bringler26 04-22-2013 08:02 PM

I still need to fix my airbag light tried transplanting the one from the oem seat and didn't work. I have an 03 with no seat airbags. If you happen to figure something out definitely post a how to.

jugglethese 04-22-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyboy (Post 4695142)
Moved to the MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades area

I'd stay away from knock off seats. I've had a set that didn't last long at all. There is a reason why good seats are expensive. Save your money and get something that will last and be worth it. As for seat brackets it took me a long time to find a set that wasn't outrageously.priced. I ended up finding a set of custom made seat brackets. I had them for sale a long time ago but no one wanted to buy them. Don't try to rig up the seats to fit, in the event of a crash it can and will break the mounts causing you to fly all over the cabin or even out the window.

i didnt really want to make something up. i cant really trust myself with welding something thats going to save my life. not to mention i dont know if insurance would even cover me if i did that, if i got in a serious crash. ill do some more shopping online to see if i can find something. but its either a broken seat or a knock off. i think the knock off is still better than what im sitting in right now haha