Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Car died while parking & now won't start (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314633)

rageclick 04-19-2013 12:38 PM

Car died while parking & now won't start

So I live out in the country, and luckily the car died as I was entering my driveway but now I can't get it to start and I don't hear that (click click click) from starter when I turn the key and the odometer also reads -----, doesn't show any numbers like it should.

I tested the battery it's fine (It's only 2 weeks old)

I remember when my battery died 2 weeks ago, I could at least hear that (click click click) from the starter. This time I don't so I am going to test the starter but I have a feeling that it's not the issue because... & my main question is...

If it was the starter... then why did it die in the first place? I assume the starter is only needed to start it, which wouldn't of caused it to die when I was slowing down to park?

Also.. My obd2 reader no longer works or will establish a link with car.

I'm guessing it's electrical but Idk where to start.

joecicalese 04-19-2013 01:23 PM

Did you jump the car 2 weeks ago when the battery died?

BackNBlackSVT 04-19-2013 01:47 PM

Check your ignition coil wiring, making sure nothing is loose. Mine came loose once while driving and the car died and would not start and I found that was the problem reconnected it and was good to go.

rageclick 04-19-2013 03:58 PM

Ya we tried jumping the battery when it had died

Checked ignition coil wiring and connections, wiring looks fine.

Not sure if im using multi meter right but the alternator is getting power, shows 12.4 volts, engine is grounded. Starter is kinda bad spot to check.

It's a lil weird the obd reader isn't working and odometer shows only dashes... hoping these problems would narrow down my search.

BackNBlackSVT 04-19-2013 04:37 PM

I'm not a mechanic but maybe it's the PCM? The power train control module on a Ford controls every aspect of the vehicle's engine, transmission, clutch and electrical and fuel delivery. Without a properly working PCM, the Ford will not run. At times, you may want to perform a reset of the Ford PCM for basic troubleshooting. This can often resolve small issues that you may experience with the Ford.

Try this to reset the PCM
Open the hood of the Ford. Loosen the lock nut located on the negative battery cable connector with a socket and ratchet. Pull the connector off the negative battery terminal.

Wait for 20 minutes while the PCM bleeds off the electricity it stores for backup power. Once the power drains from the PCM, it resets.

Slide the negative battery connector onto the battery terminal and tighten the lock nut with the socket and ratchet and then try to start your car.

rageclick 04-19-2013 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya, I was reading somewhere that the PCM might be shot if odometer only reads dashes. I unplugged battery for an hour, and no go =(

iminhell 04-19-2013 08:33 PM

It'll probably be something in the ignition circuit.
Check fuses, Relays, etc.

If you have a second key, try starting using it.

rageclick 04-19-2013 08:44 PM

From what I can see without removing all the fuses they all look clear, no black, burnt centers, etc.

Fuses under dash I can't even really check out =/ I'm hoping I don't have to rip out every fuse to look at them...

Not sure how to check a relay. Which is the black box looking fuses I assume?

rageclick 04-19-2013 08:44 PM

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but how do I know if a fuse or relay is fried...

And do I have to remove them to see?

iminhell 04-19-2013 08:46 PM

Don't look. Remove and replace. Anything that sounds like it'd be ignition, PCM/ECU is suspect.
Owners manual has locations and vague descriptions.

Yes, relays are bigger and black.