Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Poll: What does everyone use to wash their cars with? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3145)

hotfocus 11-16-2003 01:33 AM

Poll: What does everyone use to wash their cars with?

Just curious as to what you guys use, sponge, towel, or etc.

01CobaltTiburon 11-16-2003 08:31 PM

I have a brush with extremely soft bristles that I use. It keeps me from getting my hands all wet, and it makes it easier for a short person like myself to reach the middle of the hood, roof, etc, without risk of scratching the fenders or doors. Towels, mitts and sponges just have too much of a risk of having something get hung up in them that you would drag around on the paint and scratch it.

I use a brush or cotton towel for the wheels/tires, depending on how dirty they are.

Lil PZEV 11-16-2003 09:26 PM

I use the good old Big Yellow Sponge. I know it may trap junk in it but I'm very careful about where it goes and I just can't find an alternative I like that makes lots of suds. I never use it on the wheels though, I have a cool pad-brush from the local discount chain for that... gets brake dust off like no other!

vin-sanity 11-17-2003 08:37 AM

i use the microfibre mitt it's alright. i wash after each use and i still have swirls marks in my paint job.[?|]

whiteboyslo 11-18-2003 02:31 PM

mit is nice, but i'm so paranoid about small pieces of dirt stuck in it scratching my car! it's happened before and i damn near cried by the time i was done.

Mike

microtonal 11-18-2003 02:44 PM

I live in a complex that does not allow car washing at the complex.[:(]
So, I use that cheap @ss brush at the do it yourself carwash since they don't allow hand washing at most of these do it yourself carwash places. I usually wash the brush before I even get my car wet to get any junk off of it like rock and what not.
I've washed my car at least 20+ times in the last year and I have yet to get any swirl marks. Only flaw on my paint is that [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]in key job done by that @sshole a few weeks ago.
Not sure if it has to do with that I have the Silver paint or not.
On my black Zx2, I had swirl marks after about 2 months and a few car washs at the same place I take my Zx3 for a carwash..
That was one of the reasons I did not want black or any of the dark colors because they seem to show scratchs and swirls marks very easy and those scratch and swirl remover products don't work with a crap.

Chick 11-23-2003 10:51 AM

Micro, I know what you mean. I had a dark blue neon that I always used the brush at the carwash on and it had hella swirl marks. That when I was like no more. We can hand wash as long as there isn't anyone waiting at our carwash but mostly, like the wintertime, take it through the automatic. That's only if it's really dirty. But I use a mitt when I hand wash. And for the wheels I finally found something that I don't have to go back over when I'm done; Try using Eagle One Tire & Wheel cleaner. It works like a charm. Beats using a rag and getting brake dust all over your hands.

teddyrob 11-23-2003 12:28 PM

ashley i cant picture you with dust brake on your hands![:(]

Chick 11-23-2003 06:02 PM

Why not? You think I'm prissy? LOL
I get dirty all the time when I clean up my car.

R&DSVTZX5 11-24-2003 05:21 PM

I use a real soft bristle car wash brush, I'm in the same boat as SunshineCavy04, I'm short and cannot reach to top very well without the brush, I have a sponge that I use on my wheels, and I get brake dust all on my hands, but at least they are clean. Ash, I know how you feel, I get dirty when I clean my car also, it is worst when I wax the car....