Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Focus ST (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Focus ST or Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost 6-spd M/T? Which would you pick? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314134)

mjd4277 04-12-2013 07:20 PM

Focus ST or Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost 6-spd M/T? Which would you pick?

The last time I went up to Portsmouth Ford for maintenance,they had 4 Focus STs in their inventory and about 45 Fusions. The one "special" Fusion they had in their inventory was equipped with the 1.6 liter EcoBoost and 6-spd manual tranny combo. All the vehicles were comparably priced(originally around $28K but there are discounts)and I'm tempted to trade in the Focus coupe for one or the other. Which you pick if you had the money?

2002greenzx3 04-12-2013 07:26 PM

ST for sure. or wait to the fiesta ST

suss6052 04-12-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjd4277 (Post 4682649)
The last time I went up to Portsmouth Ford for maintenance,they had 4 Focus STs in their inventory and about 45 Fusions. The one "special" Fusion they had in their inventory was equipped with the 1.6 liter EcoBoost and 6-spd manual tranny combo. All the vehicles were comparably priced(originally around $28K but there are discounts)and I'm tempted to trade in the Focus coupe for one or the other. Which you pick if you had the money?

Focus ST, it will be faster. The Fusion would be nice, but either someone backed out of the order for some reason or the dealer created a fake sales order to get one.

The Focus is built in Michigan, and the Fusion for the most part is still built in Mexico. I'm not aware of them building even a nominal amount of cars at Flat Rock yet.

mjd4277 04-12-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suss6052 (Post 4682666)
The Fusion would be nice, but either someone backed out of the order for some reason or the dealer created a fake sales order to get one.

The Focus is built in Michigan, and the Fusion for the most part is still built in Mexico. I'm not aware of them building even a nominal amount of cars at Flat Rock yet.

The Fusion I mentioned was regular dealer inventory. No one backed out of it.
Portsmouth Ford is known for keeping a decent amount of M/T vehicles in its inventory

Twenty 04-12-2013 08:56 PM

A manual Fusion would be fun and I would certainly like one, but to have to choose between the two I would probably find myself going towards a Focus ST - especially if a Tangerine Scream unit is available.

Dgc333 04-12-2013 09:03 PM

My take is you have to decide whether you want a fast superb handling car that gets decent economy (ST) or larger more comfortable car with barely adequate performance and no better economy (Fusion) than the ST.

04ZTSJelf 04-12-2013 09:21 PM

I'd pick the ST, just like that. Wouldn't even think about it, haha.

Red Jay 918 04-12-2013 09:22 PM

Focus ST w/o question.... Fusion isn't much of a midsize sedan anymore. i was checking out the weight of its counterpart (MKZ) w/ AWD and the 3.7L V6... well over 4200+lbs. now if you said the 2010-2012 2.5L w/ a turbo and 6 speed manual or Sport w/ the 3.5L (regardless of FWD/AWD for me) then THAT could be a difficult decision...

HilloNative 04-12-2013 09:25 PM

ST no doubt!

suss6052 04-12-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjd4277 (Post 4682794)
The Fusion I mentioned was regular dealer inventory. No one backed out of it.
Portsmouth Ford is known for keeping a decent amount of M/T vehicles in its inventory

When did ford change the order bank? Last we were told was that Ford would not produce a single manual 1.6 L Fusion unless there was an actual customer assigned to the order (i.e. a retail sold order) and not just a dealer stock order.

In any case I still would take the Focus as its a better car to drive. Faster, more agile, etc.

The manual Fusion is intriguing, but the 1.6 isn't quite up to the task of swaying the choice away from the ST.