Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Stock Muffler Removal (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313579)

sixshooter 04-06-2013 05:45 PM

Stock Muffler Removal

Has anyone removed the stock muffler, welded in an aftermarket muffler and kept the lunchbox?

sam fisher 04-06-2013 06:07 PM

Interesting , havent heard of it but im sure its been done once or twice.
Are you planning on doing this?

Sent from my LG-LG730

GreySkorpion 04-06-2013 06:26 PM

Thats what I want to do with a Borla and use a ST tailpipe (replaces the lunchbox).

sam fisher 04-06-2013 07:32 PM

I just hate the look of the damn thing lol , cut mine out less than a week after i had gotten my fofo.

Sent from my LG-LG730

sixshooter 04-06-2013 08:53 PM

Here's my situation. I have a butt load of exhaust pipes, mufflers, and hangers that I've collected thru the years. I'd rather piece them together to make an exhaust than to buy one. ESP that it's going on my beater car. I want a different tone in the exhaust but I want to keep the lunchbox to keep it somewhat quiet. It is automatic and I hate loud exhaust on autos. Also, the lunchbox will be perfect for the tip I want to weld on. I'm not sure what muffler, if any, to weld on in place of the stock one. My options are a Flowmaster 40 series, a cherry bomb turbo, or a cherry bomb glass pack. I'm afraid it will sound like a Honda with the lunch box and aftermarket muffler attached. Any thoughts/opinions?

sam fisher 04-06-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshooter (Post 4672857)
Here's my situation. I have a butt load of exhaust pipes, mufflers, and hangers that I've collected thru the years. I'd rather piece them together to make an exhaust than to buy one. ESP that it's going on my beater car. I want a different tone in the exhaust but I want to keep the lunchbox to keep it somewhat quiet. It is automatic and I hate loud exhaust on autos. Also, the lunchbox will be perfect for the tip I want to weld on. I'm not sure what muffler, if any, to weld on in place of the stock one. My options are a Flowmaster 40 series, a cherry bomb turbo, or a cherry bomb glass pack. I'm afraid it will sound like a Honda with the lunch box and aftermarket muffler attached. Any thoughts/opinions?

I have only one small resonator besides the manicat and its still pretty quiet ( nice low growl , no honda farts lol ) , when i did just the lunchbox delete it made it sound only a teeny bit louder and it was only at idle. Im sure if you keep the lunchbox with any muffler behind it wont be ricer/honda at all . Id go with the flowmaster 40 as well.

Btw im automatic too

Sent from my LG-LG730

GreySkorpion 04-06-2013 11:38 PM

I have scuffed, primed and painted my luchbox flat black so it is much less noticeable. I hate the look of it, but I refuse to do the flexi pipe stuff that will just rust through in 6 months.

sixshooter 04-07-2013 01:28 AM

Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and section in the 40 and see what happens!

sam fisher 04-07-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixshooter (Post 4673138)
Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and section in the 40 and see what happens!

Good luck , post a sound clip if you can afterwards . Id like to hear that setup

Sent from my LG-LG730

kirkus8 04-30-2013 05:38 PM

i used to have a stock exhaust with the muffler gone and the lunchbox still in place. honestly that stock muffler does almost nothing for the sound. I barely noticed a difference when the muffler was gone but the lunchbox wasnt