Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Rubberized Undercoating for Wheel Wells (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313561)

DarderSauce 04-06-2013 11:27 AM

Rubberized Undercoating for Wheel Wells

Hey Guys,

So I just got an FRPP kit that I am going to be installing soon and figured I might as well do some rubberized undercoating while I have my suspension off. Mainly thinking about doing the wheel wells to cut down on driving noise but also contemplating doing the bare metal in the trunk. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? If so, what is a good product?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

05focusST91 04-06-2013 11:44 AM

Its great for anything that rusts. I reccomend it.

A7xschecter6661 04-06-2013 11:54 AM

UNDERCOAT EVERYTHING!

Know those stupid fleece/cloth wheel wells in the back? I pulled mine out (and sprayed up into the quarter panels to eliminate rust from the back) and coated the whole fabric sheet with it and put them back in. Now stuff doesn't get stuck in the fabric and its much easier to pressure wash the wheel wells out.

I undercoated the whole car just with jacks, stands and a tarp.

Just use the basic duplicolor rubberized undercoating. Should be about $4-5 a can. Can is black and gray.

Get under the car and get it everywhere you can, my wheel wells, backside of my quarter panels and everywhere around my trunk is completely done as well as the whole floor of the car.

badazz2010focus 04-07-2013 08:27 AM

would undercoating be just as good for sound deading as dynamat? like to get in all the nooks and crannies, places where it would take you a good couple of hours to cut and trim test fit cut and trim and test fit LOL!

A7xschecter6661 04-07-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badazz2010focus (Post 4673245)
would undercoating be just as good for sound deading as dynamat? like to get in all the nooks and crannies, places where it would take you a good couple of hours to cut and trim test fit cut and trim and test fit LOL!

Some places it would be impossible to dynamat. I would love to rip the carpets out and kill some sound. Our cars are noisy!

badazz2010focus 04-07-2013 01:20 PM

I would imagine how much weight that would add though.

DarderSauce 04-07-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A7xschecter6661 (Post 4672291)
UNDERCOAT EVERYTHING!

Know those stupid fleece/cloth wheel wells in the back? I pulled mine out (and sprayed up into the quarter panels to eliminate rust from the back) and coated the whole fabric sheet with it and put them back in. Now stuff doesn't get stuck in the fabric and its much easier to pressure wash the wheel wells out.

I undercoated the whole car just with jacks, stands and a tarp.

Just use the basic duplicolor rubberized undercoating. Should be about $4-5 a can. Can is black and gray.

Get under the car and get it everywhere you can, my wheel wells, backside of my quarter panels and everywhere around my trunk is completely done as well as the whole floor of the car.

Did the undercoating help with road noise?

badazz2010focus 04-07-2013 04:07 PM

I'm sure but how much and if you can differentiate before and after.

A7xschecter6661 04-08-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarderSauce (Post 4673691)
Did the undercoating help with road noise?

I would have to say yes, a little. I only did one light layer, I would love to get under there again and go further into it and coat some more on there!

Hell if I could I would rip the whole car apart, sound proof it and por-15 the inside of all the body panels so it never rusts

crice8 04-11-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badazz2010focus (Post 4673245)

NOOOOOOO Trust me I tried lol. Now I have 3 layers of sound deadener(the first layer was dynamat extreme) covering my entire trunk as well as the rear floor boards, under the seats, and all four doors.