Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Forced Induction (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   turbo flange/manifold setup questions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313450)

MrTerryToYou 04-04-2013 06:00 PM

turbo flange/manifold setup questions

I wasn't planning on turboing my focus but a friend of mine gave me a used TD04L-13T turbo that he had lying around his house. It's from a 2.0L WRX. I've been seriously contemplating turbo charging my focus ever since. So I've been looking around at what i need to keep this build cheap and reliable and still make some good power. So far i think that the most expensive piece to this is going to be the tuning portion. But i need help to figure out a few things.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford focus zx3 (pitch black), 2.0L Zetec
Power Goal: 230-250Hp (not sure if that's more realistic at the wheels or at the crank?)
Main goal: RELIABLE, cheap (in price not quality(for the most part)), efficient and awesome!

1. What type of flange do i need? I've been looking at the SPA manifold. I found one on ebay for $150ish. But it says it will fit T3 & T3/T4 turbos. WHAT TYPE OF FLANGE IS A TD04L-13T?

2.I already have a Focus Central 2.5" stealth Catback exhaust. down pipe? Er :-\ what size inlet/outlets? Also catalytic converter? How's that work?

3. Intake? Thinking maybe delete everything that's already stock and in there for room and better flow through the engine compartment maybe with a flex pipe similar to the snorkel on the stock airbox?

4. I can't spend money on the fuel system stuff right now as I'm in school and don't make much money. So minimal requirements... Thinking i can do it on stock injectors, fuel lines, fuel rail and pump. until i can afford to start upgrading them.

5. Clutch & Tranny... I have a MYX-75 Trans. My third gear synchro is shot and i have to double clutch to use it. I know that i will eventually have to buy/rebuild my Tranny. I love how fast i am off the line now. I've read that the MTX-75 I'd a closer ratio than the Getrag.here is where I'm torn. I burn through gears now and I'm just NA that will only get worse with the turbo. So should i just add the bigger final drive I've read alittle about if i decide to keep the 5-speed and when rebuild or replace is inevitable or do I go with the Getrag? I need more info on thus and opinions and thoughts? I'm thinking i will probably go with the Getrag eventually. Not till the MTX-75 dies though.

6. Oil and cooling... I've been thinking about rerouting my oil filter strictly because it's a PITA to get to when i have to do an oil change. With that and the turbo added i know i netted oil lines for the cooling of the turbo. Can I do the rerouting and the oil lines for the turbo reliably? Suggestions on pieces needed would be nice.

7. Motor mounts/torsen... I know I'm going to go through mounts if i keep stock OEM mounts, i love massives motor mounts especially their new line (the unbreakable mounts) what are these torsen (bars/mounts) I've seen around a few? They look beefy and awesome! Pros and cons?

That's it for now.

This is not my build thread strictly questions i need answered before i start my build thread.

Thanks everyone in advance for all of your advice and thoughts.

MrTerryToYou 04-08-2013 10:34 AM

Wow. Really no replies!? Too much information or what? No one want to help. Ok well thanks anyways guys. 96 views and no replies :-(

anarchy0392 04-08-2013 05:24 PM

Maybe no one knows try sending Tom a pm or someone else. I bet you goggled already but maybe try a little harder. But what might be a better idea is go to a muffler shop and ask a more senior tech.

MrTerryToYou 04-08-2013 05:33 PM

I actually figured most of it out already. I'll be posting my findings very soon. Maybe it will help someone else.

anarchy0392 04-08-2013 06:25 PM

Okay that's kool I'd like to know also.

drunkyoda 04-08-2013 06:34 PM

what are you contemplating the intake for?

the turbo is your intake... you HAVE to get bigger injectors.

MrTerryToYou 04-08-2013 06:39 PM

Totes! Will probably get it up tomorrow.

drunkyoda 04-08-2013 06:48 PM

i am also doing a budget build...

SPA turbo kit- 800
MAFia - 140
xcal 2 -100
Tuning - about 300
intercooler setup - prob about 150
injectors - 120

i will prob need some other little bits and pieces

MrTerryToYou 04-23-2013 12:20 PM

So I need bigger injectors? Stock zetec are 24# right. So would 30# svt injectors be enough or do I need bigger?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using FF Mobile

MrTerryToYou 04-23-2013 12:30 PM

So far this is what I'm thinking.

Have not purchased these but im pricing stuff out right now.

SPA manifold - $159 on ebay. Also will need a block off plate for the built in external wastegate opening. And will probably have to make my own adapter plate for the turbo to manifold.
WRX turbo rebuild kit - $60
Intercooler and piping - $150 on ebay 2.5"
internal Waste gate actuator - $50
Xcal - $375 new but I'll probably buy one off the forums for alot cheaper.
Tune - $300
Downpipe - $? Need more research.
BOV/BPV/Diverter Valve -$? Need more research.
MAFia - $? Need more research.

I did just buy a 3 inch CFM mafe tube. Was thinking about having the intake side be 3 inch. But the intercooler and piping mostly come in 2.5 inch. Need more research.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using FF Mobile