turbo flange/manifold setup questions
I wasn't planning on turboing my focus but a friend of mine gave me a used TD04L-13T turbo that he had lying around his house. It's from a 2.0L WRX. I've been seriously contemplating turbo charging my focus ever since. So I've been looking around at what i need to keep this build cheap and reliable and still make some good power. So far i think that the most expensive piece to this is going to be the tuning portion. But i need help to figure out a few things.
Vehicle: 2001 Ford focus zx3 (pitch black), 2.0L Zetec
Power Goal: 230-250Hp (not sure if that's more realistic at the wheels or at the crank?)
Main goal: RELIABLE, cheap (in price not quality(for the most part)), efficient and awesome!
1. What type of flange do i need? I've been looking at the SPA manifold. I found one on ebay for $150ish. But it says it will fit T3 & T3/T4 turbos. WHAT TYPE OF FLANGE IS A TD04L-13T?
2.I already have a Focus Central 2.5" stealth Catback exhaust. down pipe? Er :-\ what size inlet/outlets? Also catalytic converter? How's that work?
3. Intake? Thinking maybe delete everything that's already stock and in there for room and better flow through the engine compartment maybe with a flex pipe similar to the snorkel on the stock airbox?
4. I can't spend money on the fuel system stuff right now as I'm in school and don't make much money. So minimal requirements... Thinking i can do it on stock injectors, fuel lines, fuel rail and pump. until i can afford to start upgrading them.
5. Clutch & Tranny... I have a MYX-75 Trans. My third gear synchro is shot and i have to double clutch to use it. I know that i will eventually have to buy/rebuild my Tranny. I love how fast i am off the line now. I've read that the MTX-75 I'd a closer ratio than the Getrag.here is where I'm torn. I burn through gears now and I'm just NA that will only get worse with the turbo. So should i just add the bigger final drive I've read alittle about if i decide to keep the 5-speed and when rebuild or replace is inevitable or do I go with the Getrag? I need more info on thus and opinions and thoughts? I'm thinking i will probably go with the Getrag eventually. Not till the MTX-75 dies though.
6. Oil and cooling... I've been thinking about rerouting my oil filter strictly because it's a PITA to get to when i have to do an oil change. With that and the turbo added i know i netted oil lines for the cooling of the turbo. Can I do the rerouting and the oil lines for the turbo reliably? Suggestions on pieces needed would be nice.
7. Motor mounts/torsen... I know I'm going to go through mounts if i keep stock OEM mounts, i love massives motor mounts especially their new line (the unbreakable mounts) what are these torsen (bars/mounts) I've seen around a few? They look beefy and awesome! Pros and cons?
That's it for now.
This is not my build thread strictly questions i need answered before i start my build thread.
Thanks everyone in advance for all of your advice and thoughts.
Wow. Really no replies!? Too much information or what? No one want to help. Ok well thanks anyways guys. 96 views and no replies :-(
Maybe no one knows try sending Tom a pm or someone else. I bet you goggled already but maybe try a little harder. But what might be a better idea is go to a muffler shop and ask a more senior tech.
I actually figured most of it out already. I'll be posting my findings very soon. Maybe it will help someone else.
Okay that's kool I'd like to know also.
what are you contemplating the intake for?
the turbo is your intake... you HAVE to get bigger injectors.
Totes! Will probably get it up tomorrow.
i am also doing a budget build...
SPA turbo kit- 800
MAFia - 140
xcal 2 -100
Tuning - about 300
intercooler setup - prob about 150
injectors - 120
i will prob need some other little bits and pieces
So I need bigger injectors? Stock zetec are 24# right. So would 30# svt injectors be enough or do I need bigger?
Sent from my SPH-L900 using FF Mobile
So far this is what I'm thinking.
Have not purchased these but im pricing stuff out right now.
SPA manifold - $159 on ebay. Also will need a block off plate for the built in external wastegate opening. And will probably have to make my own adapter plate for the turbo to manifold.
WRX turbo rebuild kit - $60
Intercooler and piping - $150 on ebay 2.5"
internal Waste gate actuator - $50
Xcal - $375 new but I'll probably buy one off the forums for alot cheaper.
Tune - $300
Downpipe - $? Need more research.
BOV/BPV/Diverter Valve -$? Need more research.
MAFia - $? Need more research.
I did just buy a 3 inch CFM mafe tube. Was thinking about having the intake side be 3 inch. But the intercooler and piping mostly come in 2.5 inch. Need more research.
Sent from my SPH-L900 using FF Mobile
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.|