Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   fine swirls in tuxedo black (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313394)

dbenney 04-03-2013 07:09 PM

fine swirls in tuxedo black

Hi there guys, I jsut thought I would warn you guys so you can learn form my mistake. I will start by saying I have a 2012 SEL tuxedo black. I wash it by hand when weather permits. In the winter I will take it to a basic touchless car wash to get the salt off of it. The other day I noticed the infamous fine swirl marks in my cc. I couldnt figur eout where they came from, then it finally dawned on me.... Here is where you can learn from my mistake. NEVER, under any circumstances use a ice scraper with the snow brush on it to clear snow off your hood, roof and deck lid. I never thought those bristles would be hard enough to scratch the clearcoat. Now I gotta spend a whole day washing, claying,buffing and waxing it. Lesson learned the hard way [mecry]

gsxrboy 04-04-2013 09:23 AM

The swirl marks may have come from the dealership as well. Any detailer will tell you that you should remove the wax, clay bar, compound and then wax it on a brand new car. Who knows how they washed it the first time when they were delivering it to you. Also who knows how the car was handled after it was painted from the factory, a simple hand swipe will mark the clear coat.

Twenty 04-04-2013 11:53 AM

I have seen amazing amounts of damage done by snow brushes. It sucks you had it happen, but now you know to avoid it. [thumb]

wacky 04-04-2013 12:01 PM

maybe those paint protection films would be a good investment afterall :)

bile0026 04-04-2013 04:33 PM

I don't understand why they haven't developed a cc that will resist that type of thing better. Half of the world or more has to deal with snow (and brushing off their car). You'd think they would have something more resilient.

dbenney 04-05-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsxrboy (Post 4668884)
The swirl marks may have come from the dealership as well. Any detailer will tell you that you should remove the wax, clay bar, compound and then wax it on a brand new car. Who knows how they washed it the first time when they were delivering it to you. Also who knows how the car was handled after it was painted from the factory, a simple hand swipe will mark the clear coat.

my swirl marks definitely didn't come from the dealership. I took delivery in August and washed it about every week and waxed it every 2-4 weeks depending on how the beading was. I never saw swirl marks before winter. I do know that dealerships typically are horrible when it comes to prepping new cars. I usually tell them not to was mine, I get a lot of enjoyment and relaxation from dealingmy car.

thejordan 04-09-2013 09:07 PM

you can accumulate swirl marks by improper washing.

i recommend using sheep-skin mitts with grit-guards and the 2 bucket method.

Optimum No Rinse is a great product to use during winter.

Youtube is your friend.

dbenney 04-28-2013 09:59 AM

just thought i would keep you guys updated. I bought some ccs foam pads and attempted to remove swirls by hand using an orange, red and white pads with maguiars ultimate compound and swirl x. WOW what a PITA! after doing only the deck lid my shoulder was sore and very little difference.
I decided to go the DA route. I bought a portercable 7424 and a variety of lake country ccs pads and again used ultimate compound with a yellow cutting pad followed by swirl x and an orange light cutting pad... WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! my deck lid looks new now. I didnt take any pics before and after but i will take some of the hood if you guys are interested.

any way, i learned my lesson about the snow brush. i guess next winter im gonna look like one of those tards that drives around with a foot of snow piled up on their roof hood and trunk LOL

RonMaiden 04-28-2013 10:05 AM

Winter in general is just hard on cars especially when contaminants are already in the snow when it falls. We get a snow and then when it melts there's sometimes a fine dust left behind so you gotta be extra careful just removing the snow at all.

dyn085 05-17-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbenney (Post 4703607)
just thought i would keep you guys updated. I bought some ccs foam pads and attempted to remove swirls by hand using an orange, red and white pads with maguiars ultimate compound and swirl x. WOW what a PITA! after doing only the deck lid my shoulder was sore and very little difference.
I decided to go the DA route. I bought a portercable 7424 and a variety of lake country ccs pads and again used ultimate compound with a yellow cutting pad followed by swirl x and an orange light cutting pad... WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! my deck lid looks new now. I didnt take any pics before and after but i will take some of the hood if you guys are interested.

any way, i learned my lesson about the snow brush. i guess next winter im gonna look like one of those tards that drives around with a foot of snow piled up on their roof hood and trunk LOL

You used the pads...by hand?

Yes, the PC will pay for itself in time. Just make sure you follow up with a good coat of wax or sealant, and keep it there all year. As pointed out above, swirls generally come from an improper wash. If you can fix what's wrong with your hand-wash, future sessions with the PC will go much more smoothly.