Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Hey it's a good car and this is crazy, but let's make so HP maybe? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313331)

CotyM 04-02-2013 10:19 PM

Hey it's a good car and this is crazy, but let's make some HP maybe?

Alright, guys for 2 years I've enjoyed every minute of my korstin, Yeah I named my car, a lady this beautiful shouldn't go nameless ;) I've done allot of maintenance and replaced allot of things putting a little TLC in this 12 almost 13 year old car. But now, I think it's time to do what I want to do. Now I don't have a whole load of cash because of collage so I'm looking to spend about $1000 into making a little HP, since my whole exhaust needs replaced anyway I was thinking that it would be a good place to start.

So after doing some reading I've come up with a general plan, and since I won't be actually getting dirty until maybe jully, I have some time to edit this game plan. But here we go.

SVT Header - Because of tight budget I may go with OBX 4-2-1 since it seems prefered for most HP per Dollar?

CAT delete - We don't do any testing here so, why not? Also remove the second emissions sensor

EGR delete - while I'm at it, might as well toss this out to since the OBX 4-2-1 seems like it wont fit?

Cat b/hack exhaust - I want low-restriction, but I prefer to keep it quite at the same time, I don't really like to turn heads except when I'm pissed off, open to and greatly encourage suggestions. With a cat delete I could probably afford quieter with out sacrificing to much back-pressure maybe?

Proper cold air intake- currently I have a decent cone filter, but I'd like to re-plum it, probably wont cost more than a few $$.

A good tune - Tom's tune? I'd like to not only tune but also get rid of CEL that I'm bound to see from the above deletes.

So this is pretty much my summer checklist, Any suggestions of things to add/remove? I'm hoping to achieve 20-30 HP increase, it'd be even better If I could get some HP without to much fuel sacrifice, but I have a feeling this will not be the case :(

ZXthrizzle05 04-03-2013 12:08 AM

20hp is do able

LouBomb 04-03-2013 12:32 AM

If you can.. Get the svt header/exhaust.. That is where your biggest bang for buck will come from.. Along with a tune from fswerks, rps, or Tom.. 20hp is way attainable..

Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.

CotyM 04-03-2013 01:56 PM

Thanks guys for your replies!

I did some looking and it looks like it's pretty hard to get an SVT header as ford no longer produces them? So basically I'll be fighting tooth and nail to get one right? I'll see if I can try to get one as I have plenty of time before I'll be getting to work on it. Just curious I stumbled onto a cheap OBX replica of SVT header, I was wondering, would that be a better fallback than the 4-2-1/4-1?

Also A buddy was telling me while I was at it and getting a tune, I should also also consider raising my budget a hair and get stage 1 cams? Will I see any real difference worth the cost? Will the SVT header + cam combo make magic happen? and if so if I wound up going with the OBX in the end would it still be worth it.

Thanks!

freemind 04-03-2013 02:55 PM

Get cams gears and Dyno tuned too. I gained a bunch of torque that way. Mostly in the mid range where it counts.

CotyM 04-03-2013 03:43 PM

Awesome! Also, does a dyno tune permanently keep my tune, or does it forget it when I remove the battery? I am assuming Tom's is a dyno from how people act about it?

freemind 04-03-2013 03:56 PM

No. A dyno tune is done at a shop that has a Dynometer. It tells you exactly what HP and TQ thar you are putting out at the wheel. It is the best way to tune the cams.

Tom's tune is a standalone and is the best way to get the most out of your other mods.

CotyM 04-03-2013 04:22 PM

Oh, alright, I'll definitely need to do more research before jumping into this then...

I'm stretching my mechanical knowledge here, but as far as I can understand:

I'll install the the mods, do a tom's tune or equivalent depending how everything goes down.

THEN I'll take my car to a dyno, and adjust the cams until I get the most HP + torque and or smoother operation?

freemind 04-03-2013 05:16 PM

yes, do the mods first

miazda 04-03-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CotyM (Post 4667713)
I did some looking and it looks like it's pretty hard to get an SVT header as ford no longer produces them? So basically I'll be fighting tooth and nail to get one right?

Thanks!

Even if they were available from ford I imagine the cost would be quite prohibitive. There's usually a part out or three, just watch with impunity and you should be able to pick up one. Or if the emissions in your part of the world isn't too tough buy a new header from a place like FSwerks.