Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Focus, Foci, Focuses et cetera. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313288)

OPsDad 04-02-2013 10:28 AM

Focus, Foci, Focuses et cetera.

From someone who uses Latin every day and got corrected by someone (who had NO idea who he was correcting) because I said Focuses:

Focus, Foci would be a second declension (masculine) noun in Latin.

Singular:

Nominative - Focus. The subject noun of a sentence is nominative. Example: Focus currus Ford est" - "Focus is a Ford car". Car is being used as an adjective here, not a noun, so it uses the same case as what it is describing, the Focus.

Genitive - Foci. Genitive is possessive or indicates origin or a quality: Example: "Rota Foci est" - "The wheel is the Focus's"

Dative - Foco. Dative is the indirect object. Example: "Cletus dedit rotam unam Foco" - "Cletus gave a wheel for the Focus". Notice how not only did the word for Focus change, but the first declension noun "rota" (used as a direct object) changed to rotam (accusative case - as did the adjective for "a" or "one" wheel, una change to unam, matching what it was describing, the direct object).

Accusative - Focum. The accusative case is for the direct object of a sentence. Example: "Cletus posuit Focum in stabulo" - "Cletus put the Focus in the garage".

Ablative - Foco. The ablative is most often used for prepositional objects, like stabulo ("stable", substituting for modern word "garage") in the example above.
Example: "Cletus ferri rotam in Focus" - "Cletus carried a wheel in the Focus".

OK, now we do PLURAL, more than one. We start all over!

Nominative - Foci. Example: "Foci curri Ford sunt" - Focuses are Ford cars". Notice two things: The verb "est" (he/she/it is) becomes "sunt" (they are) and we aren't declining the noun/adjective Ford anywhere, since it is a modern English word. That's just the way some latinists do it. There might be purists who would translate "Ford" into "Vadum" (2nd decl. neuter) which is the Latin for the place one would ford a river (and a likely etymology for Henry Ford's last name). I don't bother with those things.

Genitive - Focorum. Example: "Rotae Focorum sunt" - "They are Focuses' wheels". Literally, "Wheels are from (of) the Focuses".

Dative - Focis. Example: "Cletus dedit rotis Focis" - "Cletus gave wheels for the Focuses".

Accusative - Focos. Example: "Cletus posuit Focos in Stabulo". You can see that Cletus's garage is getting full.

Ablative - Focis. Example: "Cletus ferri rotas in Focis". Cletus carries wheels in Focuses".

So, if I was to say, (as I may have in the thread that provoked this) "I am going to wash both of my focuses" and one would correct me to say "I am going to wash both of my Foci" well, they're being an arrogant ignoramus, because they're presuming to correct someone's use of a Latin-derived word when they don't have the foggiest clue of Latin grammar. And yes, that kind of thing sets my teeth on edge and gets me to spend half an hour creating a thread like this. If they had corected my sentence to "I am going to wash both of my Focos" I would have said "well done" and moved along. As it turns out, I've ended up flaming this guy several times in that thread because, as I have said, he's an arrogant ignoramus and it carries over into the rest of his ideas. Idiots are usually consistent. [nutkick]

jdubhack 04-02-2013 10:56 AM

[thumb]

What's the reasoning behind your knowledge of Latin? Catholic?

zetecDon 04-02-2013 10:56 AM

I just call it a "Focus" and be done with it. I have tried to call it a Foci in the past but it just doesn't sound right to me.

sam fisher 04-02-2013 10:57 AM

ITS A FO FO , MO FO lol :p

Sent from my LG-LG730

OPsDad 04-02-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubhack (Post 4665660)
[thumb]

What's the reasoning behind your knowledge of Latin? Catholic?

LOL. Why EVER would you guess such a thing???? (Yes, that's it.) [angel]

_fifth_ 04-02-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam fisher (Post 4665662)
ITS A FO FO , MO FO lol :p

Sent from my LG-LG730

hahahahahah this^

Still pretty cool though!

Cruisin 04-02-2013 12:34 PM

Since I never liked the use of the word foci when talking about more than one Focus, I am now a happy camper.

Of course, if I spoke the word Focos in a sentence, they would have absolutely no idea what I meant. And if I were speaking to a lady, she could mistake my meaning entirely.

Cruisin 04-02-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _fifth_ (Post 4665694)
hahahahahah this^

Still pretty cool though!

[hihi][hah] I just noticed your avatar!

OPsDad 04-02-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin (Post 4665824)
Since I never liked the use of the word foci when talking about more than one Focus, I am now a happy camper.

Of course, if I spoke the word Focos in a sentence, they would have absolutely no idea what I meant. And if I were speaking to a lady, she could mistake my meaning entirely.

I don't much like it either, especially since I know with great certainty most would be mispronouncing it "folk-eye". [smackbum]

mac.mogul 04-02-2013 01:00 PM

None of it matters because "focus" is both a noun and a verb in the english language.

No matter how you try to make it plural, it will be wrong.

Edit: The main thing to remember is that the english language is convoluted and either Focuses or Foci are acceptable.

Edit Edit: Get outta here with your latin bullcrap. This is 'murrica.