Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Forced Induction (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   For all my guru peeps... I haz issues... (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313103)

LouBomb 03-30-2013 06:06 PM

For all my guru peeps... I haz issues...

So I've talked to a couple of you peeps before and gotten a few answers and well the car has left me stranded again..

A little background...

Car has a custom turbo kit put together.. And it was tuned by Focus Power..
It has the diablo chip so I can't really datalog.

The issue..

When the car is cold.. It's runs pretty good... High idle but it runs... As soon as it gets to operating temp... It bogs down and eventually shuts off... Then it won't stay on... As in.. I turn the key.. Car turns on for 2 seconds and immediately shuts off...

So if I wait about an hour.. It'll run for a bit until well it warms up again...

I checked the coil pack... One terminal was all black and charred... So.. I ordered a massive ignition package... I replaced the screaming demon coil pack I had with a MSD coil pack along with massive wires.. I Also put in motor craft spark plugs from CFM... I changed the valve cover gasket, and I also have cleaned the MAF...

I honestly have ran out of ideas... I check the wires to the coil pack no issues there..

I did get a cel before and it said it could be MAF, or coil pack I forgot the code. I since clear the code since I replaced all the parts and well it broke down again today. I haven't been able to pull a new cel yet.. It hasn't popped up yet....

Idk if this means anything but when all the issues pop up like the bogging down and shutting off my Air Fuel Ratio gauge stays in the red for lean mixtures...

My last idea is a clogged cat... Could that be the stick in my ass?

Sent from my JailBroken iPhone.

Chris_HT 03-30-2013 06:51 PM

My vote is on cat. That's why it starts but bogs down once the pressure builds up.

ZXthrizzle05 03-30-2013 07:09 PM

your boosted and still have the cat? id start there...and check our IACV, my car bogs at idle as well because I am to lazy re place and or clean it. mostly because of its stupid location.

Mother Focus 03-30-2013 07:31 PM

Both should check for vac leaks, reset the ECU after.

LouBomb 03-30-2013 10:14 PM

I'm going to take a saw to it see if that can be it... If its the IACV how can I check it? I don't see any leaks btw

6SPD_soul 03-30-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZXthrizzle05 (Post 4661708)
your boosted and still have the cat? id start there...and check our IACV, my car bogs at idle as well because I am to lazy re place and or clean it. mostly because of its stupid location.

Yeah, but it sounds like his car runs fine on and off idle until it gets up to temp, and then it bogs and dies correct? Have you been in touch with Tom? This seems to be the type of situation where he'd be plenty ready to look at any available datalogs.

If it's running really lean when it's dying (if you have a wideband, how lean is it?) I'd be hesitant to drive it until this is sorted, you don't need anything melting on you.

I'm not by any means a FI expert and I don't mean to bring up disaster scenarios, but are you guys suggesting he might have melted the cat while running lean? I don't otherwise see how the cat plays into this.

EDIT: missed the part about the Diablochip not allowing datalogging. How did Tom tune it then? I thought he was pretty stringent about what equipment he'd work with.

EDIT 2: I also skimmed over the part about the high idle on startup which does point to the IAC and possibly also the innordinately lean running. As everybody knows a stuck open IAC usually involves rev-hang during shifts, but it would presumably also be unmetered air all the time. The o2 sensors would shift fuel trims to account for it so that would be a handy thing to know about, but there'd also presumably be a CEL if the fuel trim were maximum rich and could no longer compensate.

I'd really want to know about fuel trim data if I were you.

LouBomb 03-30-2013 11:36 PM

Yeah the car idles at about 1400 rpm during cold startup then it usually dies down to 1000 rpm at warm up.. But as of lately as soon as it warms up and the rpms drop.. The car starts bogging and then dies... Then it won't maintain idle until it cools off.. And by saying it won't maintain idle I mean it shuts the car off...

I took the car to tune to his shop in NC.. He tuned it using the diablo chip..

My AFR gauge goes all the way to left during the episodes.. Just stays in red..

ZXthrizzle05 03-30-2013 11:47 PM

to much air not enough fuel, how are your injectors? fuel filter? fuel pump? hell even the fuel sock

LouBomb 03-30-2013 11:51 PM

I haven't checked those.. What are tell tale signs of bad injectors?

I've never heard of fuel sock? Lol

LouBomb 03-30-2013 11:51 PM

Fuel pump is relatively new..