Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   2012 clutch (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313101)

Zuesskroph 03-30-2013 05:38 PM

2012 clutch

Is the clutch adjustable in the 2012?

Elizabeth 03-30-2013 06:45 PM

Hydraulic. if you have any issues with low pedal, the slave cylinder could be bled. (it is connected to the master brake cylinder, and uses that fluid)
If the dealer is answering "there is NO adjustment." then ask them to bleed the system.
If a bubble of air is in there, it can be annoying.
The clutch can be a little odd with a bubble of air in the hydraulic system, changing as the car heats up (due to the air bubble expanding)
The dealer certainly should be willing to bleed it under warranty if it is acting a little odd. (low pedal engagement)

If it is not an air bubble, the slave or pedal cylinder may be damaged.

Zuesskroph 03-30-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4661664)
Hydraulic. if you have any issues with low pedal, the slave cylinder could be bled. (it is connected to the master brake cylinder, and uses that fluid)
If the dealer is answering "there is NO adjustment." then ask them to bleed the system.
If a bubble of air is in there, it can be annoying.
The clutch can be a little odd with a bubble of air in the hydraulic system, changing as the car heats up (due to the air bubble expanding)
The dealer certainly should be willing to bleed it under warranty if it is acting a little odd. (low pedal engagement)

If it is not an air bubble, the slave or pedal cylinder may be damaged.

Ty I actually don't like how high my pedal goes before it engages the clutch

StingRay 03-31-2013 04:50 AM

I doubt that is adjustable. But I actually liked that lol. Just a flick of the ankle and I was in the next gear.

whynotthinkwhynot 03-31-2013 11:13 AM

If there is any adjustment to that it will be in the pedal itself under the dash. I don't remember any adjustment there. Hydraulic clutches always seem to engage like that.

What people don't remember is all the problem of clutches "back in the good old days" when there was adjustment. Everybody forgets how many times during the life of the car that the clutch rod would slip off the fork, or push through the fork. This never happens on dry, sunny days. Nobody remembers the cable clutches, and how one day you'd get in and clutch would be difficult to push down, then halfway to grandma's house the cable would totally lock up. No amount of WD40 or duct tape could save you. You'd have to meet some toothless Deliverance reject who towed your car to a gas station repair shop at 1 am, and didn't even point you to a motel. Yep, the good old days were better- right?

Here's my favorite "good old days" epiphany: 99.9% of the idiots who tell you that "man I got this car because carbs are better, I can work on those" have never rebuilt a carburetor, and never will. "Working on a carb" to them is fiddling around with the A/F, throttle linkage, and idle screw until they give up and spend $500 on a new carb to replace a perfectly good carb that is simply way out of adjustment. Remember that when you meet one of these fellows in the future. Do not mention how all the cars from the "good old days" had only lap belts to protect you from hitting the metal dashboards. [shhh] It's Darwinism working for us all.

asting 03-31-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4662554)
If there is any adjustment to that it will be in the pedal itself under the dash. I don't remember any adjustment there. Hydraulic clutches always seem to engage like that.

What people don't remember is all the problem of clutches "back in the good old days" when there was adjustment. Everybody forgets how many times during the life of the car that the clutch rod would slip off the fork, or push through the fork. This never happens on dry, sunny days. Nobody remembers the cable clutches, and how one day you'd get in and clutch would be difficult to push down, then halfway to grandma's house the cable would totally lock up. No amount of WD40 or duct tape could save you. You'd have to meet some toothless Deliverance reject who towed your car to a gas station repair shop at 1 am, and didn't even point you to a motel. Yep, the good old days were better- right?

Here's my favorite "good old days" epiphany: 99.9% of the idiots who tell you that "man I got this car because carbs are better, I can work on those" have never rebuilt a carburetor, and never will. "Working on a carb" to them is fiddling around with the A/F, throttle linkage, and idle screw until they give up and spend $500 on a new carb to replace a perfectly good carb that is simply way out of adjustment. Remember that when you meet one of these fellows in the future. Do not mention how all the cars from the "good old days" had only lap belts to protect you from hitting the metal dashboards. [shhh] It's Darwinism working for us all.

haha well said.
There's a reason performance cars are fuel injected and not carbed nowadays, I promise they don't make more power.

Zuesskroph 04-01-2013 05:27 AM

Lol man that was a big rant about the "good ole days",I actually have a couple vehicles from the good ole days,I just want to adjust my freaking clutch! Lol

whynotthinkwhynot 04-01-2013 05:37 AM

I feel ya about that. Unfortunately thats something that you'll just have to get used to with a hydraulic clutch. I had issues with mine that I couldn't repair either. The slave cylinder would get stuck sometimes if I tried shifting too quickly- so WHEN did that happen? I can't tell you how many backwards hat Honda drivers got a laugh out of my car. Well, actually only 2. After the repeat incident I don't screw with it any more.

Did you check under the dash at the top of the pedal? It might be possible to get just a little out of the master cylinder if you loosen the screws. Yes, the MC is mounted under the dash at the top of the pedal.

SPRAYPAINT 04-01-2013 07:39 AM

My question is: Is there an after market clutch for our car yet. I know it has the MTX75 trans but the flywheels from the older 2.0 and the 2.3 are different. I have checked with Exedy and FS werks and noone seems to know.

Some may say there is not a need for a better clutch because there is not enough performance upgrades for the car yet to over power the clutch. I say, I'm getting all the info and parts together to put on the car when tuning is available. With what I have found and seen so far on the dyno charts these car WILL do over 250HP N/A at the flywheel and I'm sure the factory clutch will be well taxed at that. My personal goal is to have the same HP or a little more that the ST but without the turbo or the body.

Zuesskroph 04-01-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4663646)
I feel ya about that. Unfortunately thats something that you'll just have to get used to with a hydraulic clutch. I had issues with mine that I couldn't repair either. The slave cylinder would get stuck sometimes if I tried shifting too quickly- so WHEN did that happen? I can't tell you how many backwards hat Honda drivers got a laugh out of my car. Well, actually only 2. After the repeat incident I don't screw with it any more.

Did you check under the dash at the top of the pedal? It might be possible to get just a little out of the master cylinder if you loosen the screws. Yes, the MC is mounted under the dash at the top of the pedal.

I have not even messed with it yet I wanted to see if anyone on here had any info first cause I personally hate messing with the trans/clutch but ill look at it later,and to the aftermarket clutch I have yet to see one but I would also like a stage 2 clutch just because I like the feel of it and how it grabs.