Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   A-pillar gauge pods? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312998)

Casbs_12 03-29-2013 12:43 PM

A-pillar gauge pods?

I'm thinking of adding some performance gauges (oil press & voltage, maybe a 3rd if I'm feeling frisky) and wondered if anyone had luck finding a-pillar gauge pods that fit the '12 Focus. I think i can mod something from one of the universals but would rather have something that I don't have to cut apart to make work. I've searched the forum but didn't see any posts on this subject. TIA.

Roadworthy 03-29-2013 02:30 PM

Might want to hold off on that a pillar... I'd say find one like the ST that takes over the center speaker. Those a-pillar side air bags are a real life saver!

darkangelism 03-29-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadworthy (Post 4659882)
Might want to hold off on that a pillar... I'd say find one like the ST that takes over the center speaker. Those a-pillar side air bags are a real life saver!

Also a facefull of guages if it does go off would be painful

Casbs_12 03-29-2013 07:36 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not certain I have airbags in the a-pillars. there isn't an "ABS" or "Airbag" marking on them. The b-pillars have the marks along with the steering wheel and passenger dashboard. I don't see any score marks for an airbag deploy either.

In any case, I would be putting the gauges on the bottom 1/3 of the pillar and not near the roofline where the airbags would be placed.

Someone on the focus ST forum added a-pillar gauges so I think it can be done.

In any case from what I've seen the ST gauges are garbage so I'm not interested. too small, not enough information, and I don't have a turbo so the boost gauge would be useless. Maybe I could use the housing but i'd throw out the stock gauges and put in my own.

_RED_ 03-29-2013 07:48 PM

I'd be interested in this I would run a wide band and EGT gauge.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

StingRay 03-30-2013 04:39 AM

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...pod-setup.html

This thread might help you guys out :)

The airbags sits way up at the top of the pillar. Running gauges at the bottom like in the thread linked will keep it safe in case of an accident.

Bliky 03-30-2013 07:30 AM

Interesting... I'd love it if someone made a center gauge pod like the one in the ST... Love me some Prosport Evo Guages!

RedComet 04-02-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _RED_ (Post 4660445)
I'd be interested in this I would run a wide band and EGT gauge.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

+1. I'd love an oil temp, pressure, and wideband and EGT guage cluster/pod. I was talking about this the other day too, incidentally.

StingRay 04-02-2013 09:15 PM

Why EGT AND wideband? Just wondering.

suss6052 04-02-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casbs_12 (Post 4660426)
Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not certain I have airbags in the a-pillars. there isn't an "ABS" or "Airbag" marking on them. The b-pillars have the marks along with the steering wheel and passenger dashboard. I don't see any score marks for an airbag deploy either.

In any case, I would be putting the gauges on the bottom 1/3 of the pillar and not near the roofline where the airbags would be placed.

Someone on the focus ST forum added a-pillar gauges so I think it can be done.

In any case from what I've seen the ST gauges are garbage so I'm not interested. too small, not enough information, and I don't have a turbo so the boost gauge would be useless. Maybe I could use the housing but i'd throw out the stock gauges and put in my own.

The side curtain airbags deploy from the roof rails and come down the pillars, and every single 2012+ Ford Focus has these airbags with the inflator mounted in the pillar, therefore there is a risk upon deployment of gauges being launched off that I wouldn't take.